Vermont -- History -- Education
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the history of education in Vermont.
· Stone, Mason S. History of Education, State of Vermont. Capital City Press, 1927. This is a standard and classic work of earlier history. Author bias against progressive movement is clear.
· Huden, John C. Development of State School Administration in Vermont. Free Press Printing Company, 1944. A good historical overview. Broader in content than the name implies.
· Nuquist, Andrew E, and Edith W. Nuquest. Vermont State Government and Administration: An Historical and Descriptive Study of the Living Past. Government Research Center, University of Vermont, 1966. The classic Vermont government history through 1965. Education chapter is pp. 262-291.
· Mathis, William J. "Accelerating Change: Vermont Education, 1965-1995." In: Vermont State Government since 1965. Center for Research on Vermont. University of Vermont, pp. 317-360. Sequel to Nuquest.
· Cross, Michele A. "Public School Education in Vermont: The Myth of Local Control." Unpublished master's thesis, July 1992. An excellent source document. Focused on governance yet broader. Fine annotated bibliography.
· Bush, George Gary. History of Education in Vermont. United States Bureau of Education. Circular of Information Number 4, 1900. U.S. Government Printing Office.
"The Infography about the History of Education in Vermont"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA