Lewis, C.S. (Clive Staples) (1898-1963)
The following sources are recommended by an expert whose research specialty is C.S. Lewis.
· Schultz, Jeffrey D., and John G. West, Jr. (eds). The C.S. Lewis Readers' Encyclopedia. Zondervan, 1998. An easy-to-use, well-balanced compendium of information about Lewis and his works, by over forty contributers.
· Hooper, Walter. C.S. Lewis: Companion and Guide. HarperCollins, 1996. The first and longest compendium of information about Lewis. This one-man work and The C.S. Lewis Readers' Encyclopedia (above) complement each other; both are needed.
· George Sayer. Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis. Crossway Books, 1994. Unquestionably the best biography of C.S. Lewis, and improved in the updated 1997 edition.
· Lindskoog, Kathryn. C.S. Lewis: Mere Christian. Fourth edition, Cornerstone Press Chicago, 1997. Generally considered the best overview of C.S. Lewis's core beliefs as expressed in his life and his writings.
· Lindskoog, Kathryn. Sleuthing C.S. Lewis: More Light in the Shadowlands. Mercer University Press, 2001. Separating the published biographical and bibliographical Lewis apocrypha from Lewis's genuine history and his authentic canon.
· Myers, Doris T. C.S. Lewis in Context. Kent State University Press, 1994. An analysis of Lewis's fiction that will appeal to linguistic and literary scholars as well as to Lewis enthusiasts.
-- WEBSITES --
· Into the Wardrobe. http://cslewis.drzeus.net/
· C.S. Lewis and Public Life. http://www.discovery.org/cslewis/
-- JOURNALS --
· The Canadian C.S. Lewis Journal.
· CSL: Bulletin of the New York C.S. Lewis Society.
· The Lamp-Post of the Southern California C.S. Lewis Society.
· The Lewis Legacy.
· VII: An Anglo-American Literary Review.
-- BOOKS--Fifty-eight of the many other books about C.S. Lewis, excellent in a wide variety of different ways:
· Adey, Lionel. C.S. Lewis's "Great War" with Owen Barfield. University of Victoria, ELS Monographs, 1978.
· Adey, Lionel. C.S. Lewis: Writer, Dreamer, and Mentor. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1998.
· Aeschliman, Michael. The Restitution of Man: C.S. Lewis and the Case against Scientism. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1983.
· Bramlett, Perry C. C.S. Lewis: Life at the Center. Smyth and Helwys, 1996.
· Bramlett, Perry C. Touring C.S. Lewis' Ireland and England. Smyth and Helwys, 1998.
· Bresland, Ronald W. The Backward Glance: C.S. Lewis and Ireland. The Institute of Irish Studies, The Queen's University of Belfast, 1999.
· Carnell, Corbin Scott. Bright Shadow of Reality: Spiritual Longing in C.S. Lewis. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1999.
· Carpenter, Humphrey. The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends. Allen and Unwin, 1978.
· Christopher, Joe R. C.S. Lewis. Twayne, 1987.
· Christopher, J.R., and Joan K. Ostling. C.S. Lewis: An Annotated Checklist of Writings about Him and His Works. Kent State University Press, 1973.
· Christensen, Michael J. C.S. Lewis on Scripture: His Thoughts on the Nature of Biblical Inspiration, the Role of Inspiration and the Question of Inerrancy. Word Books, 1979.
· Como, James T., ed. C.S. Lewis at the Breakfast Table and Other Reminiscences. Macmillan, 1979.
· Dorsett, Lyle. A Love Observed: Joy Davidman's Life and Marriage to C.S. Lewis (originally entitled "And God Came In"). North Wind Books, 1998.
· Downing, David. Planets in Peril : A Critical Study of C.S. Lewis' Ransom Trilogy. University of Massachusetts Press, 1992.
· Edwards, Bruce L. Taste of the Pineapple: Essays on C.S. Lewis as Reader, Critic, and Imaginative Writer. Bowling Green State University Popular Press, 1988.
· Ford, Paul F. A Companion to Narnia. HarperCollins, 1994.
· Gibb, Jocelyn, ed. Light on C.S. Lewis. Geoffrey Bles, 1965.
· Gibson, Evan K. C.S. Lewis, Spinner of Tales: A Guide to His Fiction. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1980.
· Gilbert, Douglas, and Clyde S. Kilby. C.S. Lewis: Images of His World. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1973.
· Goffar, Janine. C.S. Lewis Index: A Comprehensive Guide to Lewis's Writings and Ideas. Crossway Books, 1995.
· Green, Roger Lancelyn, and Walter Hooper. C.S. Lewis: A Biography. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1974.
· Hannay, Margaret Patterson. C.S. Lewis. Frederick Ungar, 1981.
· Hein, Rolland. Christian Mythmakers: C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, John Bunyan, Walter Wangerin, Robert Siegel, and Hannah Hurnard. Cornerstone Press Chicago, 1998.
· Hillegas, Mark R. Shadows of Imagination: The Fantasies of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Charles Williams. Southern Illinois University Press, 1968, 1978.
· Holmer, Paul L. C.S. Lewis: The Shape of His Faith and Thought. Harper, 1976.
· Hooper, Walter. Through Joy and Beyond. A Pictorial Biography of C.S. Lewis. Macmillan, 1982.
· Honda, Mineko. The Imaginative World of C.S. Lewis: A Way to Participate in Reality. University Press of America, 2000.
· Howard, Thomas. The Achievement of C.S. Lewis. Harold Shaw, 1980.
· Howard, Thomas. C.S. Lewis: Man of Letters. Ignatius Press, 1990.
· Huttar, Charles, ed. Imagination and the Spirit: Essays in Literature and the Christian Faith Presented to Clyde S. Kilby. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1971.
· Keefe, Carolyn, ed. C.S. Lewis: Speaker and Teacher. Zondervan, 1971.
· Kilby, Clyde. The Christian World of C.S. Lewis. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1964.
· Kilby, Clyde. Images of Salvation in the Fiction of C.S. Lewis. Harold Shaw, 1978.
· King, Don W. C.S. Lewis, Poet: The Legacy of His Poetic Impulse. Kent State University Press, 2001.
· Kort, Wesley A. C.S. Lewis: Then and Now. Oxford University Press, 2001.
· Kreeft, Peter. C.S. Lewis for the Third Millennium: Six Essays on the Abolition of Man. Ignatius Press, 1994.
· Lawlor, John. C.S. Lewis: Memories and Reflections. Spence, 1998.
· Lewis, Warren H. Brothers and Friends: The Diaries of Major Warren Hamilton Lewis. Harper and Row, 1982.
· Lindskoog, Kathryn. The Lion of Judah in Never-Never Land. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1973.
· Lindskoog, Kathryn. Finding the Landlord: A Guidebook to C.S. Lewis's Pilgrim's Regress. Cornerstone Press Chicago, 1995.
· Lindskoog, Kathryn. Journey into Narnia. Hope, 1997.
· Lindskoog, Kathryn. Surprised by C.S. Lewis, George MacDonald, and Dante: An Array of Original Discoveries. Mercer University Press, 2001.
· Lindvall, Terry. Surprised by Laughter: The Comic World of C.S. Lewis. Thomas Nelson, 1996.
· Manlove, Colin. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Patterning of a Fantastic World. Twayne, 1993.
· Meilaender, Gilbert. The Social and Ethical Thought of C.S. Lewis. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1978.
· Menuge, Angus, ed. C.S. Lewis: Lightbearer in the Shadowlands. Crossway Books, 1997.
· Peters, John. C.S. Lewis: The Man and His Achievement. Paternoster Press, 1985.
· Peters, Thomas C. Simply Lewis: A Beginner's Guide to His Life and Works. Crossway Books, 1997.
· Purtill, Richard L. C.S. Lewis's Case for the Christian Faith. Harper and Row, 1981.
· Reilly, R.J. Romantic Religion: A Study of Barfield, Lewis, Williams, and Tolkien. University of Georgia Press, 1971.
· Schakel, Peter, ed. The Longing for a Form: Essays on the Fiction of C.S. Lewis. Kent State University Press, 1977.
· Schakel, Peter. Reason and Imagination in C.S. Lewis: A Study of Till We Have Faces. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1984.
· Schofield, Stephen, ed. In Search of C.S. Lewis. Bridge, 1984.
· Sims, John A. Missionaries to the Skeptics: Christian Apologists for the Twentieth Century, C.S. Lewis, E.J. Carnell, and Reinhold Niebuhr. Mercer University Press, 1995.
· Walsh, Chad. C.S. Lewis: Apostle to the Skeptics. Macmillan, 1949.
· Walsh, Chad. The Literary Legacy of C.S. Lewis. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1979.
· Walsh, Chad. Chad Walsh Reviews C.S. Lewis. Mythopoeic Press, 1998.
· White, William Luther. The Image of Man in C.S. Lewis. Abingdon Press, 1969.
"The Infography about C.S. Lewis (1898-1963)"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA