Fortifications -- History
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the history of fortifications.
· Duffy, Christopher. Fire and Stone: The Science of Fortress Warfare, 1660-1860. David and Charles, 1975.
· Floyd, Dale E., compiler. Military Fortifications: A Selective Bibliography. Greenwood Press "Bibliographies and Indexes in Military History," 1992.
· The Fortress Ring Home Page. http://members.tripod.com/~Marshal_Vauban/fortring.htm
· Hogg, Ian. The History of Forts and Castles. Orbis, 1981.
· Hughes, Quentin. Military Architecture: The Art of Defence from Earliest Times to the Atlantic Wall. St. Martin's Press, 1974; Beaufort, 1991, 2nd ed.
· Toy, Sidney. A History of Fortification from 3000 BC to AD 1700. Macmillan, 1955.
· Brice, Martin. Stronghold: A History of Military Architecture. Shocken Books, 1985.
· Clarke, Sir George Sydenham. Fortification: Its Past Achievements, Recent Developments, and Future Progress. John Murray, 1890, 1907; latter edition reprinted by Beaufort, 1989.
· Clements, W.H. Towers of Strength: Martello Towers Worldwide. Leo Cooper, 1999.
· Comité International d'Histoire de l'Art. Fortifications: Military Architecture after the Introduction of Firearms: Specialized and Systematic Dictionary. K.G. Saur, 1990, 2nd ed.
· De La Croix, Horst. Military Considerations in City Planning: Fortifications. George Braziller "Planning and Cities," 1972.
· Herman, Marguerita Z. Ramparts: Fortification from the Renaissance to West Point. Avery Publishing, 1992.
· Johnston, Stephen. Late Roman Fortifications. Barnes and Noble, 1983.
· Kern, Paul Bentley. Ancient Siege Warfare. Indiana University Press, 1999.
· McNicoll, A.W. Hellenistic Fortifications from the Aegean to the Euphrates. Oxford University Press, 1996.
· Sutcliffe, Sheila. Martello Towers. David and Charles, 1972.
"The Infography about the History of Forts"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA