English Language -- Variation
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is dialects of the English language.
· Bailey, Richard, and Gorlach, M., eds. (1982). English as a World Language. (University of Michigan Press).
· Cheshire, Jenny, ed. (1991). English around the World: Sociolinguistic Perspectives. (Cambridge University Press).
· Crystal, David (1995). The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language. (Cambridge University Press).
· Kachru, Braj B. (1990). The Alchemy of English: The Spread Functions and Models of Non-Native Englishes. (University of Illinois Press).
· Kachru, Braj B., ed. (1992). The Other Tongue: English across Cultures. (University of Illinois Press).
· McArthur, Tom., ed. (1992). The Oxford Companion to the English Language. (Oxford University Press).
· Burchfield, Robert, ed. (1994). The Cambridge History of the English Language (vol. V). English in Britain and Overseas: Origins and Development. (Cambridge University Press).
· Greenbaum, Sidney (1985). The English Language Today. (Pergamon Press).
· Kachru, Braj B. (1997). World Englishes 2000: Resources for Research. In World Englishes 2000. Ed. by L.E. Smith and M.L. Forman. (University of Hawaii Press). pp. 209-251.
· McArthur, Tom (1998). The English Language. (Cambridge University Press).
· Pennycock, Alastair (1994). The Cultural Politics of English as an International Language. (Longman).
· Phillipson, Robert (1992). Linguistic Imperialism. (Oxford University Press).
· Quirk, Randolph, and Widdowson, H., eds. (1985). English in the World: Teaching and Learning the Language and Literatures. (Cambridge University Press).
· Smith, Larry E. (1981). English for Cross-Cultural Communication. (Macmillan).
· Smith, Larry E. (1987). Discourse across Cultures: Strategies in World Englishes. (Prentice Hall).
· Smith, Larry E., and Forman, Michael L. (1997). World Englishes 2000. (University of Hawaii Press).
· Tickoo, Marhan L., ed. (1991). Language and Standards: Issues, Attitudes, Case Studies. (SEAMEO Regional Language Center, Anthology Series 36).
-- RELEVANT JOURNALS--.
· English World-Wide: A Journal of Varieties of English. 1980-present. (John Benjamin).
· World Englishes: Journal of English as an International and Intranational Language. 1985-present. (Basil Blackwell).
· English Today. 1985-present. (Cambridge University Press).
· World Literature Written in English. (1961-present). (Modern Language Association of America and the University of Guelph).
"The Infography about Variations of the English Language"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA