Travel -- American Samoa
The following sources are recommended by an expert whose research specialty is the travel attractions of American Samoa.
· American Samoa Historic Preservation Office. John Enright's walking tour of Fagatogo and Utulei features a clickable map and historic photos. The cultural history of American Samoa and photo galleries are also excellent. http://www.ashpo.org/
· American Samoa Travel Guide. A travel guide to American Samoa from Moon Handbooks South Pacific by David Stanley, complete with six detailed maps. http://www.americansamoa.southpacific.org/
· Congressman Eni F.H. Faleomavaega. The official site of American Samoa's nonvoting congressman in Washington, D.C., is useful for political news relating to the territory. This is real information, not brochure fare. http://www.house.gov/faleomavaega/
· Fagatele Bay National Marine Sanctuary. Fagatele Bay is a fringing coral reef ecosystem nestled within an eroded volcanic crater only a short distance west of the international airport. The photo galleries are fine, and there's a good deal of information on corals. http://www.fagatelebay.noaa.gov/
· National Park of American Samoa. Created in 1988, this spectacular national park includes sections on the islands of Tutuila, Ofu, and Tau. You can download detailed island maps here, plus a Natural History Guide To American Samoa. http://www.nps.gov/npsa/
· Samoa News. American Samoa's daily newspaper brings you the week's news from America's only possession south of the equator. http://www.samoanews.com/
· Amerika Samoa Net. American Samoa's community website with links to the personal sites of Samoans in the islands and around the world. http://www.amsamoa.net/
· Freeman, Derek. Margaret Mead and Samoa: The Making and Unmaking of an Anthropological Myth. Harvard University Press, 1983. An Australian academic refutes Margaret Mead's theory of Samoan promiscuity and lack of aggression.
· Manuatele.NET: Manu'a's Off-Island Connection. An online community for descendants and business friends of American Samoa around the world. http://www.manuatele.net/home.html
· Map of American Samoa. An island map of American Samoa with travel information and vacation planning tips. http://www.mapsouthpacific.com/american_samoa/
· Mead, Margaret. Letters from the Field. Edited by Ruth Nanda. Harper and Row, 1977. Describes Mead's experiences in American Samoa, Manus, the Sepik, and Bali. Mead's 1928 classic Coming of Age in Samoa, researched on Ta'u Island in American Samoa's Manu'a Group, perpetuated the myth of South Seas free love.
· 93KHJ Radio. The site of American Samoa's number one hit music station provides some local photo galleries. http://www.khjradio.com/home.php
· PagoPago.com. This site allows you to look up American Samoan numbers in an online classified telephone directory. http://www.pagopago.com/
· Quality Inn Tradewinds, Tutuila. A short drive from the international airport, Tutuila's newest big hotel caters mostly to business travelers. http://www.tradewinds.as/
· Samoan Holiday. Your guide to Samoa and American Samoa with travel information, photos, and maps. http://www.samoanholiday.com/
· Tisa's Barefoot Bar. A small resort and restaurant/bar on Tutuila's south coast. The owner, Tisa, is a colorful island character. http://www.tisasbarefootbar.com/
· Turtle and Shark Lodge, Tutuila. This small deluxe tourist lodge is on Tutuila's south side. http://www.turtleandshark.com/
· Vaoto Lodge, Ofu. This inviting little guest house accounts for ten of the sixteen rooms available on Ofu Island in the Manu'a Group. It faces a white sand beach, a few minutes walk from the Ofu section of the National Park of American Samoa. http://www.vaotolodge.com/
"The Infography about Travel in American Samoa"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA