India -- Public Administration
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the public administration in India.
· Dwivedi, O.P., Jain, R.B., and Vajpeyi, K. (Eds.). Governing India. B.R. Publishing Corporation, 1998.
· Maheshwari, S. Indian Administration. Orient Longmans, 1984.
· Misra, B.B. Government and Bureaucracy in India, 1947-1976. Oxford University Press, 1986.
· Subramaniam, V. Classes and Elites in Afro-Asia: Colonial Legacy: Sir William Meyer Memorial Lecture. Ajanta Books International, 1994.
· Subramaniam, V. Social Background of India's Administrators. Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India, 1971.
· Subramaniam, V. Transplanted Indo-British Administration. With a Foreword by Professor. W.H. Morris-Jones. Ashish Publishing House, 1977.
-- NOTE: As a part of the former British empire and as a large Commonwealth country, India's administration has influenced other Commonwealth countries; as a fast-developing, third-world democracy, it has influenced several Afro-Asian countries as a model; and as an ancient civilization, its administrative history has lessons for all students of public administration. The following excellent references are based on these considerations.
-- HISTORY --
· Puri, B.N. History of Indian Administration. Vol. I. Ancient Period. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, 1968.
· Puri, B.N. History of Indian Administration. Vol. II. Medieval Period. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, 1975.
· Subramaniam, V. "The Administrative Legacy of Ancient India." International Journal of Public Administration. M. Dekker. Vol. 21, no.1.
· Misra, B.B. Administrative History of India, 1834-1947. Oxford University Press, 1970.
-- SOCIAL CLASS --
· Subramaniam, V. India's Regional Elites. Ajanta Books International, 1998.
-- JOURNALS --
· The Indian Journal of Public Administration. Published quarterly by the Indian Institute of Public Administration, this journal is a must for all detailed research. It is indexed from time to time and publishes special issues on important topics.
· The Journal of Commonwealth and Comparative Political Studies. Published by the University of Leicester.
· The Round Table: The Commonwealth Journal of International Affairs.
· The Third World Quarterly.
"The Infography about Public Administration in India"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA