Archer, Violet Balestreri (1913-2000)
The following sources are recommended by a librarian whose research specialty is Canadian composer Violet Archer.
· Archer, Violet. Violet Archer. Various performers and conductors. Radio Canada International, 1983. 7 sound discs (247 min.); 33 1/3 rpm; mono.; Anthologie de la Musique Canadienne series. Contents: Interview conducted by Michael Schulman; Fanfare and Passacaglia; Under the Sun; Cradle Song; Twenty-Third Psalm; April Weather; Landscapes; Proud Horses; Ten Folk Songs for Four Hands; Prelude and Allegro; Sonata for Violin and Piano; Sonata for Cello and Piano; Trio No. 2; Three Sketches for Orchestra; Sonata for Horn and Piano; Sinfonietta; Sonata for Clarinet and Piano; Sonata for Alto Saxophone and Piano; Sonata No. 2 for Piano; Prairie Profiles; String Quartet No. 3; The Bell. Container includes: biographical and program notes, bibliography in English and French, and text of the interview in French translation.
· Hartig, Linda Bishop. Violet Archer: A Bio-Bibliography. Bio-Bibliographies in Music, No. 41, Greenwood Press, 1991.
· Keith, C. David. "A Conductor's Analysis of the Sacred Choral Music of Violet Archer." Dissertation, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1980.
· Parker, James Edward Kimura. "The Creative Piano Constructions of Violet Archer." Dissertation, Juilliard School, 1992.
· Soo, Rosalyn Wai-Yan. "Selected Intermediate to Early-Advanced Works for Piano Solo by Violet Balestreri Archer: An Analysis for Teaching and Performance." Dissertation, University of Oklahoma, 1997.
· Valente, Liana Elise. "Violet Balestreri Archer: Her Life, Her Vocal Literature, and Her Influence on Contemporary Canadian Music." Dissertation, University of South Carolina, 1999.
· Canadian Music Centre: Archer, Dr. Violet Balestreri. http://www.musiccentre.ca/apps/index.cfm?fuseaction=composer.FA_dsp_biography&authpeopleid=292&by=A
· University of Calgary Library, Special Collections. Canadian Music Archives: Archer, Violet, 1913-2000. http://library.ucalgary.ca/services/specialcollections/
· University of Alberta Archives: What's New. http://www.ualberta.ca/ARCHIVES/News/aug02.htm
· "Archer, Violet." New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians. 2nd ed. Grove, 2000.
· Duke, David. Violet Archer. PRO Canada, 1983.
· "Archer, Violet." Encyclopedia of Music in Canada. 2nd ed. University of Toronto Press, 1992.
· Huiner, Harvey Don. "The Choral Music of Violet Archer." Dissertation, University of Iowa, 1980.
· Various Authors. Canadian University Music Review 16/1 (1995). Special issue in honor of Canadian composer Violet Archer.
· Willoughby, Angela Sue. "The Solo Piano Music of Violet Archer: A Study of Selected Didactic Works." Dissertation, Louisiana State University, 1998.
"The Infography about Violet Archer (1913-2000)"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA