Weber, Carl Maria von (1786-1826)
The following sources are recommended by an expert whose research specialty is the composer Carl Maria von Weber.
· Bartlitz, Eveline. Carl Maria von Weber: Autographen-Verzeichnis. Deutsche Staatsbibliothek, 1986. Bartlitz's catalogue is important modern contribution to Weber scholarship.
· Henderson, Donald G., and Henderson, Alice H. Carl Maria von Weber: A Guide to Research. Garland Publishing, 1990.
· Jähns, Friedrich Wilhelm. Carl Maria von Weber in Seinen Werken: Chronologisch-Thematisches Verzeichnis Seiner Sämmtlichen Compositionen. Schlesinger, 1871; Lienau, 1967. This is an exhaustive catalog of works and manuscripts, along with thematic incipits and other critical information.
· New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, 2nd ed. s.v. "Weber, Carl Maria von" by Joachim Veit, John Warrack, et al.
· Tusa, Michael C. Euryanthe and Carl Maria von Weber's Dramaturgy of German Opera. Studies in Musical Genesis and Structure. Oxford University Press, 1991.
· Warrack, John. Carl Maria von Weber, 2nd ed. Cambridge University Press, 1976. This is the standard reference on Weber and his music.
· Benedict, Julius. Weber. S. Low, Marston, Searle and Rivington, 1881; reprinted as Carl Maria von Weber, AMS Press, 1980; Best Books, 2001.
· Hatch, Christopher. "Weber's Themes as Agents of a Perfect Unity," Music Review 49 (1988):31-42.
· Mercer-Taylor, Paul. "Unification and Tonal Absolution in 'Der Freischütz.'" Music and Letters 78 (1997):220-32.
· Meyer, Stephen. "Performing Identity: The Search for a German Opera in Dresden, 1798-1832," Ph.D. dissertation, State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1996.
· Planché, James Robinson. The Recollections and Reflections of J.R. Planché: A Professional Autobiography. Tinsley Brothers, 1872, and 2nd (revised) edition, 1901; Da Capo Press, 1978.
· Saunders, William. Weber. The Master Musicians Series, J.M. Dent, 1940; Da Capo Press, 1970 (augmented with a bibliography by Frederick Freedman).
· Tusa, Michael C. "In Defense of Weber," pp. 147-77 in Nineteenth-Century Piano Music, R. Larry Todd, ed., Schirmer Books, 1990.
· Tusa, Michael C. "Weber's Grosse Oper: A Note on the Origins of Euryanthe," 19th Century Music 8 (1985):119-24.
· Tusa, Michael C. "Exploring the Master's Inheritance: Liszt and the Music of Carl Maria von Weber," Journal of the American Liszt Society 45 (1999):1-33.
· Warrack, John. German Opera: From the Beginning to Wagner. Cambridge Opera Studies, Cambridge University Press, 2001. Several chapters near the end of this focused study are useful for understanding the context in which Weber worked.
"The Infography about Carl Maria von Weber (1786-1826)"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA