Japan -- History -- Military
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the military history of Japan.
· Dull, Paul S. A Battle History of the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1941-1945. Naval Institute Press, 1978.
· Evans, David C. And Mark R. Peattie. Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy. Naval Institute Press, 1997.
· Farris, William Wayne. Heavenly Warriors : The Evolution of Japan's Military, 500 1300. Council on East Asian Studies, Harvard University: Distributed by the Harvard University Press, 1992.
· Jansen, Marius B. ed., Warrior Rule in Japan. Cambridge University Press, 1995.
· Peattie, Mark P. Ishiwara Kanji and Japan's Confrontation with the West. Princeton University Press, 1975.
· Turnbull, S. R. The Samurai: A Military History. MacMillan, 1977.
· Agawa, Hiroyuki. The Reluctant Admiral: Yamamoto and the Imperial Navy. Kodansha International, 1979.
· Borg, Dorothy. The United States and the Far Eastern Crisis of 1933-1938: From the Manchurian Incident through the Initial Stage of the Undeclared Sino-Japan War. Harvard University Press, 1964.
· Borg, Dorothy and Okamoto Shumpei, ed. Pearl Harbor as History: Japanese-American Relations 1931-1941. Columbia University Press, 1973.
· Butow, Robert J. C. Tojo and the Coming of the War. Stanford University Press, 1961.
· Connaughton, Richard M. The War of the Rising Sun and Tumbling Bear: A Military History of the Russo-Japanese War 1904-1905. Routledge, 1991.
· Costello, John. The Pacific War. Quill, 1982.
· Crowley, James B. Japan's Quest for Autonomy: National Security and Foreign Policy, 1930-1938. Princeton University Press, 1966.
· Dorn, Frank. The Sino-Japanese War, 1937-41: From Marco Polo Bridge to Pearl Harbor. MacMillan Publishing, 1974.
· Dower, John W. War without Mercy: Race and Power in the Pacific War. Pantheon Books, 1986.
· Drea, Edward J. MacArthur's ULTRA: Codebreaking and the War Against Japan, 1942 1945. University Press of Kansas, 1991.
· Drea, Edward J. In the Service of the Emperor: Essays on the Imperial Japanese Army. University of Nebraska Press, 1998.
· Edgerton, Robert B. Warriors of the Rising Sun: A History of the Japanese Military. Norton, 1997.
· Feis, Herbert. Japan Subdued: The Atomic Bomb and the End of the War in the Pacific. Princeton University Press, 1961.
· Frank, Richard B. Downfall: The End of the Imperial Japanese Empire. Random House, 1999.
· Harries, Meirion and Susie Harries. Soldiers of the Sun: The Rise and Fall of the Imperial Japanese Army. Random House, 1991.
· Hata, Ikuhiko. "Continental Expansion, 1905-1941." Translated by Alvin D. Coox. In The Cambridge History of Japan. Vol. 6, The Twentieth Century, ed. Peter Duus, pp. 271-314. Cambridge University Press, 1988.
· Levine, Alan J. The Pacific War: Japan versus the Allies. Praeger, 1995.
· Lewin, Ronald. The American Magic: Codes, Ciphers, and the Defeat of Japan. Penguin Books, 1983.
· Lone, Steward. Japan's First Modern War: Army and Society in the Conflict with China 1894-95. St. Martin, 1994.
· Lory, Hillis. Japan's Military Masters: The Army in Japanese Life. Greenwood Press, 1943.
· Mikesh, Robert C. Japan's World War II Balloon Bomb Attacks on North America. Smithsonian Institution Press, 1973.
· Okamoto, Shumpei. The Japanese Oligarchy and the Russo-Japanese War. Columbia University Press, 1970.
· Piccigalo, Philip R. The Japanese on Trial: Allied War Crimes Operations in the East, 1945-1951. University of Texas Press, 1979.
· Prados, John. Combined Fleet Decoded : The Secret History of American Intelligence and the Japanese Navy in World War II. Random House, c1995.
· Spector, Ronald H. Eagle against the Sun: The American War with Japan. Free Press, c1985.
· Toland, John. Rising Sun. Bantam Books, 1982.
· Westwood, J. N. Russia against Japan, 1904-05: A New Look at the Russo-Japanese War. State University of New York Press, c1986.
· White, Trumbull. The War in the East: Japan, China and Corea [sic]. P.W. Ziegler, 1895.
· Wilson, Dick. When Tigers Fight: The Story of the Sino-Japanese War 1937-1945. The Viking Press, 1982.
· Yamamoto, Masahiro. Nanking: Anatomy of an Atrocity. Prager Publishers, 2000.
"The Infography about the Military History of Japan"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA