African-American Religious History, Pre-1865
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is early African-American religious history.
· Milton Sernett, ed., African American Religious History: A Documentary Witness (Duke University Press, 2nd ed., 1999)
· Albert Raboteau: Slave Religion: The Invisible Institution in the Antebellum South (Oxford University Press, 1978)
· Eugene Genovese, Roll, Jordan, Roll: The World The Slaves Made (Viking, 1973)
· Yvonne Chireau, Black Magic: Religion and the African American Conjuring Tradition (University of California Press, 2003)
· Sylvia Frey, Water from the Rock: Black Resistance in a Revolutionary Age (Princeton University Press, 1992)
· Jon Butler, Awash in a Sea of Faith: The Christianization of the American People Harvard University Press, 1990).
· The North Star: A Journal of African-American Religious History http://www.northstarjournal.org/
"The Infography about African-American Religious History before the Civil War"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA