Women in Music
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is women in music.
· Sadie, Julie and Rhian Samuel, eds. The New Grove Dictionary of Women Composers. Macmillan, 1994.
· Glickman, Sylvia and Martha Furman Schleifer, eds. Women Composers: Music through the Ages. G.K. Hall, 1996- . Five volumes of this 12-volume chronological project have been completed.
· Pendle, Karin, ed. Women and Music. Indiana University Press, 1991.
· International Alliance for Women in Music offers extensive links to bibliographies on-line, composers' home pages, organizations, women in music courses, historical women composers, etc. http://www.iawm.org/
· Ericson, Margaret. Women and Music: A Selective Annotated Bibliography on Women and Gender Issues in Music. 1987-1992. G.K. Hall, 1996.
· Bowers, Judith and Judith Tick, eds. Women Making Music: The Western Art Tradition, 1150-1950. University of Illinois Press, 1986.
· Neuls-Bates, Carol, ed. Women in Music: An Anthology of Source Readings from the Middle Ages to the Present. rev. ed. Northeastern University Press, 1996.
· Briscoe, James R., ed. Historical Anthology of Music by Women. Indiana University Press, 1987.
· Solie, Ruth A., ed. Musicology and Difference: Gender and Sexuality in Music Scholarship. University of California Press, 1993.
· McClary, Susan. Feminine Endings: Music, Gender, and Sexuality. University of Minnesota Press, 1991.
· Citron, Marcia J. Gender and the Musical Canon. Cambridge University Press, 1993.
· Cook, Susan and Judy S. Tsou. Cecilia Reclaimed: Feminist Perspectives on Gender and Music. University of Illinois Press, 1994.
· Cooper, Sarah. Girls! Girls! Girls! Essays on Women and Music. New York University Press, 1996.
· Hallstead, Jill. The Woman Composer: Creativity and the Gendered Politics of Musical Composition. Ashgate, 1997.
· Koskoff, Ellen, ed. Women and Music in Cross-Cultural Perspective. University of Chicago Press, 1987.
· Briscoe, James R. Anthology of Twentieth-Century Women Composers. Indiana University Press, 1997.
· Hixon, Don L. and Don A. Hennessee. Women in Music: An Encyclopedic Bibliography (2 vols.). 2nd. ed. Scarecrow Press, 1993.
· Cohen, Aaron, I., ed. International Encyclopedia of Women Composers. 2nd ed. Greenwood Press, 1987.
· Zaimont, Judith, ed. The Musical Woman: An International Perspective. Greenwood Press, 1984, 1988, 1991 (3 vols.).
· Jezic, Dianne Peacock. Women Composers: The Lost Tradition Found. 2nd ed. prepared by Elizabeth Wood. The Feminist Press, 1994.
"The Infography about Women in Music"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA