Travel -- Easter Island
The following sources are recommended by an expert whose research specialty is Easter Island vacations.
· Easter Island Foundation. This well-organized website provides an online guide, history, legends, photos, and publications, plus a discussion of tourism's impact. http://www.islandheritage.org/
· Easter Island Home Page. Beside the useful historical and cultural introductions, there's a sample of Rapa Nui music. http://www.netaxs.com/~trance/rapanui.html
· Easter Island Travel Guide. The 39-page Easter Island chapter from Moon Handbooks South Pacific. http://easterisland.southpacific.org/
· Museo Antropológico P. Sebastián Englert. Easter Island's archaeological museum. http://www.museorapanui.cl/
· Rapa Nui sur le Web. A French portal maintained by Jean Hervé Daude with numerous Easter Island links. http://www.jeanhervedaude.com/Iorana%20Rapa%20Nui.htm
· The Rongorongo of Easter Island. Something different, this site presents the ancient culture of Easter Island, especially the mysterious rongorongo hieroglyphic script. There's even a Rapanui-English dictionary. http://www.rongorongo.org/
· Aku Aku Turismo. A local tour operator which arranges excursions and can put together packages. http://www.akuakuturismo.cl/
· Bahn, Paul, Catherine Orliac, and Michel Orliac. Easter Island: Mystery of the Stone Giants. Harry N. Abrams, 1995. A factual, balanced account of the island's history.
· Chile Hotels. Photos and information on leading Easter Island hotels. http://www.chile-hotels.com/easteris.htm
· Eight Men and a Duck. At the personal website of author Nick Thorpe, you can read about his humorous travel book Eight Men and a Duck: An Improbable Voyage by Reed Boat to Easter Island (Free Press, 2002). http://www.nickthorpe.co.uk/
· Hiking Guide To Easter Island. Travel writer David Stanley introduces the South Pacific's number one hiking destination. http://www.writers.worldcountries.info/South-America/Easter-Island-Hiking-Guide.shtml
· Hotel Gomero. A recommended medium-priced hotel offering personalized island tours. http://www.hotelgomero.com/homeingles.html
· Hotel Iorana. Easter Island's top hotel. http://www.ioranahotel.cl/
· Hotel Vai Moana. A budget-priced motel on the north side of Hanga Roa. http://www.vai-moana.cl/
· Kia Koe Tour. Another tour operator similar to Aku Aku Turismo. http://www.kiakoetour.co.cl/
· LanChile Airlines. The only airline flying to Easter Island, with service from Chile and Tahiti. http://www.lan.com/
· Lee, Georgia. An Uncommon Guide to Easter Island: Exploring Archaeological Mysteries of Rapa Nui. International Resources, 1990. Though published in 1990, this is still the most authoritative island guide available.
· Map of Easter Island. A map of Easter Island with travel information and vacation planning tips. http://www.mapsouthpacific.com/easter_island/
· Mysterious Places: Easter Island. The story of Easter Island and its mysterious statues, a tour of the ruins, and the many controversies surrounding the island, all accompanied by outstanding photos. http://www.mysteriousplaces.com/Easter_Island/index.html
· Rapa Nui Travel. One of the island's leading inbound tour operators outlines their services. http://rapanuitravel.bizland.com/
· Residencial Cabañas Vaianny. An inexpensive, family-operated guest house in Hanga Roa. http://www.angelfire.com/pop2/vaianny/
· TravelArt. A Santiago-based adventure tour company with regular trips to Easter Island. http://www.travelart.com/en/index.php
"The Infography about Travel in Easter Island"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA