Mississippian Moundbuilders Art, Artifacts and Archaeology
The following sources are recommended by an expert whose research specialty is Mississippian archaeology.
· The Southeastern Ceremonial Complex: Artifacts and Analysis: The Cottonlandia Conference Exhibition Catalog, edited by Patricia Galloway, University of Nebraska Press, 1989, ISBN 0-80322-131-2.
· Ancient Indian Pottery of the Mississippi River Valley: A Pictorial Study of Prehistoric Pottery of the Mississippian Culture, 1000-1650 A.D., by Roy Hathcock, Hurley Press, 1976, LCCN 75-6102.
· Shell Gorgets: Styles of the Late Prehistoric and Protohistoric Southeast, by Jeffrey P. Brain and Philip Phillips, Peabody Museum Press, 1996, ISBN 0-87365-812-4.
· The Mississippian Moundbuilders and Their Artifacts, by Anthony Asher Stein. http://www.mississippian-artifacts.com/
· The Spiro Mound, by Henry W. Hamilton, J.B. Griffin, and C.C. Willoughby, Missouri Archaeological Society, 2000 (reprint of The Missouri Archaeologist, Vol. 14, October, 1952), ISBN 0-94341-406-7
· Legends of Prehistoric Art, Vol. 1, by Bobby Onken, private publication, 2000.
· Cat Monsters and Head Pots: The Archaeology of Missouri's Pemiscot Bayou, by Michael J. O'Brien, University of Missouri Press, 1994, ISBN 0-8262-0969-6.
· Southeastern Indians: Life Portraits; A Catalogue of Pictures, 1564-1860, edited by Emma Lila Fundaburk, Scarecrow Reprint, 1969, LCCN 76-6022.
· Pre-Columbian Shell Engravings: From the Craig Mound at Spiro, Oklahoma, Part 1, by Philip Phillips and James A. Brown, Peabody Museum Press, 1978, ISBN 0-87365-795-0.
· Hart's Prehistoric Pipe Rack, Prehistoric Pipes of the Mississippi River Waterways -- East, Vol. 1, by Gordon Hart, Hart Publishing, 1978, LCCN 78-71086.
· Tobacco, Pipes and Smoking Customs of the American Indians, Vols. 1 and 2, by George West, Milwaukee Public Museum, 1934; reprinted by Greenwood Press, 1970, ASIN 0-83714-635-6; reprinted by Hart Publishing, 2001.
· The Cahokia Mound Group and Its Village Site Material, by P.F. Titterington, privately published, 1938; reprinted by Cahokia Mounds Museum Society, 1977.
· Report on the Burials Found at Crenshaw, Mound C, Miller County, Arkansas, by J.H. Durham and M.K. Davis, Bulletin of the Oklahoma Anthropological Society, Volume 23, 1975: 1-90.
· Spiro Mound Copper, by Henry W. Hamilton, Jean Tyree Hamilton, and Eleanor F. Chapman, Memoir Series of the Missouri Archaeology Society, Number 11, December, 1974, LCCN 74-31740.
· Archaeology of Aboriginal Culture Change in the Interior Southeast: Depopulation during the Early Historic Period, by Marvin T. Smith, University Press of Florida, 1987, ISBN 0-8130-1158-2.
· Legacy in Clay: Prehistoric Ceramic Art of Arkansas: Exhibit and Catalogue, by Kent C. Westbrook, Rose Publishing, 1982, ISBN 0-914546-40-6.
"The Infography about Mississippian Moundbuilders Art, Artifacts and Archaeology"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA