Literature -- Ancient Egyptian
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is Ancient Egyptian literature.
· Jan Assmann, "Egyptian literature," Anchor Bible Dictionary, 2:378-90, ed. David Noel Freedman, et al. Doubleday 1992. Outstanding short survey.
· Jan Assmann and Elke Blumenthal (eds.), Literatur und Politik im pharaonischen und ptolemäischen Ägypten. Bibliothèque d'Etude 127. IFAO 1999. Collection of essays in English, French, and German, including some fundamental contributions.
· Miriam Lichtheim, Ancient Egyptian literature. 3 vols. University of California Press 1973-1980. The classic collection of texts in translation; broad selection, especially in vol. 1; covers all periods of Egyptian literature.
· Antonio Loprieno (ed.), Ancient Egyptian literature: history and forms. Probleme der Ägyptologie 10, E.J. Brill 1996. Comprehensive handbook of studies; includes the only synthesizing essay on Demotic literature in this listing (by W.J. Tait).
· R.B. Parkinson, Voices from ancient Egypt: an anthology of Middle Kingdom writings. British Museum Press 1991. Includes examples of literary and non-literary texts; excellent introduction and presentation.
· R.B. Parkinson, The Tale of Sinuhe and other ancient Egyptian poems. Clarendon Press 1997/99. Complete collection of Middle Kingdom literary texts with excellent introductions and notes; an outstanding work on the "classical" period.
"The Infography about Ancient Egyptian Literature"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA