The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the electoral process.
· Amy, Douglas J. Behind the Ballot Box: A Citizen's Guide to Voting Systems. Praeger, 2000.
· The Center for Voting and Democracy. http://www.fairvote.org/
· Farrell, David M. Comparing Electoral Systems. Prentice Hall, 1997.
· Lijphart, Arend. Patterns of Democracy: Government Forms and Performance in Thirty-Six Countries. Yale University Press, 1999.
· Powell, G. Bingham. Elections as a Tool of Democracy: Majoritarian and Proportional Visions. Yale University Press, 2000.
· Rule, Wilma, and Joseph F. Zimmerman, eds. United States Electoral Systems: Their Impact on Women and Minorities. Greenwood Press, 1993.
· Amy, Douglas J. PR Library: Readings in Proportional Representation. Mount Holyoke College. http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/polit/damy/prlib.htm
· Amy, Douglas J. Real Choices/New Voices: The Case for Proportional Representation Elections in the United States. Columbia University Press, 1993.
· Barber, Kathleen. A Right to Representation: Proportional Election Systems for the Twenty-First Century. Ohio University Press, 2000.
· Electoral Reform Society. http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/
· Grofman, Bernard, and Arend Lijphart, eds. Electoral Laws and Their Political Consequences. Agathon, 1986.
· Guinier, Lani. The Tyranny of the Majority: Fundamental Fairness in Representative Democracy. Free Press, 1994.
· Guinier, Lani. "The Task Ahead: Breathing New Life into American Democracy." Chapter nine in Lift Every Voice: Turning a Civil Rights Setback into a New Vision of Social Justice, pp. 251-272. Simon and Schuster, 1998.
· Hermens, Ferdinand A. Democracy or Anarchy? A Study of Proportional Representation. University of Notre Dame, 1941; Johnson Reprint, 1972.
· The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA). http://www.idea.int/
· Katz, Richard S. A Theory of Parties and Electoral Systems. Johns Hopkins University Press, 1980.
· Lijphart, Arend, and Bernard Grofman, eds. Choosing an Electoral System: Issues and Alternatives. Praeger, 1984.
· Lind, Michael. "Alice Doesn't Vote Here Any More." Mother Jones 23, no. 2 (March-April 1998): 52-55.
· Matland, Richard E. "Enhancing Women's Political Participation: Legislative Recruitment and Electoral Systems" in Azza Karam, Women in Parliament: Beyond the Numbers. International IDEA, 1998.
· Rae, Douglas W. The Political Consequences of Electoral Laws. Yale University Press, 1971.
· Richie, Robert, Caleb Kleppner, and Terril Bouricius. "Instant Run-Offs: A Cheaper, Faster, Better Way to Conduct Elections." National Civic Review 89, No. 1 (Spring 2000): 95-110.
· Reynolds, Andrew, and Ben Reilly. The International IDEA Handbook of Electoral System Design. International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance, 1997.
· Richie, Robert, and Steven Hill. Reflecting All of Us: The Case for Proportional Representation. Beacon Press, 1999.
· Rule, Wilma, and Joseph F. Zimmerman, eds. Electoral Systems in Comparative Perspective: Their Impact on Women and Minorities. Greenwood Press, 1994.
· Taagepera, Rein, and Matthew Soberg Shugart. Seats and Votes: The Effects and Determinants of Electoral Systems. Yale University Press, 1989.
· Zimmerman, Joseph F. "Alternative Local Election Systems." National Civic Review 79, no. 1 (January-February 1990): 23-36.
"The Infography about Electoral Systems"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA