United States -- Office of the President -- First Ladies
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is American first ladies.
· Anthony, Carl S. First Ladies: The Saga of the President's Wives and Their Power. Vol. I: 1789-1960; Vol. II: 1960-1990. Morrow, 1990 and 1991.
· Caroli, Betty Boyd. First Ladies. Oxford, 1987.
· Gould, Lewis L. (ed.). American First Ladies: Their Lives and Their Legacies. Garland, 1996.
· Gutin, Myra G. The President's Partner: The First Lady in the Twentieth Century. Greenwood Press, 1989.
· Johnson, Lady Bird. A White House Diary. Holt, 1970.
· Smith, Nancy Kegan, and Ryan, Mary C. (eds.). Modern First Ladies: Their Documentary Legacy. National Archives, 1989.
· Bush, Barbara. The Memoirs of Barbara Bush. Scribner's 1994.
· Carpenter, Liz. Ruffles and Flourishes. Doubleday, 1969. Reissued by Texas A and M Press, 1992.
· Carter, Rosalynn. First Lady from Plains. Houghton, 1984.
· Eisenhower, Julie Nixon. Pat Nixon: The Untold Story. Simon, 1986.
· Eisenhower, Susan. Mrs. Ike: Memories and Reflections on the Life of Mamie Eisenhower. Farrar, 1996.
· Ferrell, Robert (ed.). Dear Bess: The Letters from Harry to Bess Truman, 1910-1959. Norton, 1983.
· Ford, Betty, with Chase, Chris. The Times of My Life. Harper, 1978.
· Goodwin, Doris Kearns. No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, The Home Front in World War II. Simon and Schuster, 1994.
· Gould, Lewis L. Lady Bird Johnson and the Environment. University of Kansas Press, 1988.
· Hoff-Wilson, Joan, and Lightman, Marjorie. Without Precedent: The Life and Career of Eleanor Roosevelt. Indiana University Press, 1984.
· Kirk, Elise. Music at the White House. A History of the American Spirit. University of Illinois Press, 1986.
· Lash, Joseph P. Eleanor and Franklin. Norton, 1971.
· Reagan, Nancy, with Libby, Bill. My Turn. Random, 1989.
· Roosevelt, Eleanor. This is My Story. Harper, 1937.
· Roosevelt, Eleanor. The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt. Harper, 1961.
· Russell, Francis. The Shadow of Blooming Grove: Warren G. Harding in His Times. McGraw, 1963.
· Troy, Gil. Affairs of State. The Rise and Rejection of the Presidential Couple since World War II. Free Press, 1997.
· Truman, Margaret. Bess W. Truman. Norton, 1983.
· Weidenfeld, Sheila Rabb. First Lady's Lady. Putnam, 1979.
· Weisen-Cook, Blanche. Eleanor Roosevelt. Vol. I, 1884-1933; Vol. II, 1933-1938. Viking, 1992 and 1999.
"The Infography about Presidental First Ladies of the United States"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA