Geometry in Art and Architecture
The following sources are recommended by a professor emeritus whose research specialty is the synergy of mathematics and art.
· Boles, Martha, and Newman, Rochelle. The Golden Relationship: Art, Math and Nature. 4 Vols. Pythagorean Press, 1983-1992.
· Calter, Paul. Squaring the Circle: Geometry in Art and Architecture. Key College Publishing, 2008.
· Edgerton, Samuel. The Heritage of Giotto's Geometry. Cornell University Press, 1991.
· Kappraff, Jay. Connections: The Geometric Bridge between Art and Science. McGraw, 1990.
· Kemp, Martin. The Science of Art. Yale University Press, 1990.
· Lawlor, Robert. Sacred Geometry. Thames and Hudson, 1982.
· Alberti, Leon Battista. On Painting. A translation of Della Pittura. Yale University Press, 1956.
· Alberti, Leon Battista. Ten Books on Architecture. Dover, 1986. A 1775 translation of the work written in 1452.
· Arnheim, Rudolph. Art and Visual Perception: A Psychology of the Creative Eye. University of California Press, 1966.
· Arnheim, Rudolph. The Power of the Center. University of California Press, 1988.
· Aslaksen, Helmer. Mathematics in Art and Architecture. National University of Singapore. http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/teaching/math-art-arch.shtml
· Baxendall, Michael. Painting and Experience in Fifteenth Century Italy: A Primer in the Social History of Pictorial Style. Clarendon Press, 1972.
· Bouleau, Charles. The Painter's Secret Geometry. Harcourt, 1963.
· Boyd-Brent, John. Harmony and Proportion: Sound Design. About Scotland. http://www.aboutscotland.com/harmony/harmony.html
· The Bridges Organization: Mathematical Connections in Art, Music, and Science. International Society of the Arts, Mathematics, and Architecture. http://www.bridgesmathart.org/
· Britton, Jill. Investigating Patterns: Symmetry and Tesselations. Camosun College. http://britton.disted.camosun.bc.ca/jbsymteslk.htm
· Brunés, Tons. The Secrets of Ancient Geometry -- and Its Use. Rhodos, 1967.
· Calter, Paul. Geometry in Art and Architecture. Dartmouth College. http://www.math.dartmouth.edu/~matc/math5.geometry/
· Cole, Alison. Perspective. Kindersley, 1992.
· Cole, Rex. Perspective for Artists. Dover, 1976. First published, 1921.
· Cook, Theodore. The Curves of Life. Dover, 1979. First published, 1914.
· Cowen, Painton. Rose Windows. Thames and Hudson, 1979.
· Crannell, Annalisa, and Frantz, Marc. Viewpoints: Mathematics and Art. Indiana University and Franklin and Marshall College. http://php.indiana.edu/~mathart/viewpoints/
· Critchlow, Keith. Time Stands Still: New Light on Megalithic Science. St. Martin's Press, 1982.
· Dabrowski, Magdalena. Contrasts of Form: Geometric Abstract Art, 1910-1980. Museum of Modern Art, 1985.
· Doczi, György. The Power of Limits: Proportional Harmonies in Nature, Art, and Architecture. Shambhala, 1981.
· Dürer, Albrecht. The Painter's Manual. Translated by Walter Strauss. Abaris, 1977. First published, 1525.
· Eco, Umberto. Art and Beauty in the Middle Ages. Yale University Press, 1986.
· Edgerton, Samuel. The Renaissance Rediscovery of Linear Perspective. Basic Books, 1975.
· Edwards, Edward. Pattern and Design with Dynamic Symmetry. Dover, 1967. Reprint of Dynamarhythmic Design: A Book of Structural Pattern. Century, 1932.
· Emmer, Michele, ed. The Visual Mind: Art and Mathematics. MIT Press, 1993.
· Ferguson, George. Signs and Symbols in Christian Art. Oxford University Press, 1954.
· Fisher, Sally. The Square Halo. Abrams, 1995.
· Gallian, Joseph. 2003 Mathematics Awareness Month, April 2003: Mathematics and Art. The Math Forum, Drexel University. http://www.mathaware.org/mam/03/
· Ghyka, Matila. The Geometry of Art and Life. Dover, 1977.
· Gombrich, E.H. Art and Illusion. Pantheon, 1960.
· Greenwald, Sarah. Projected Geometry. Appalachian State University. http://www.cs.appstate.edu/~sjg/class/1010/wc/geom/perspective/
· Guthrie, Kenneth S. The Pythagorean Sourcebook and Library. Phanes, 1987.
· Hall, James. Dictionary of Subjects and Symbols in Art. Harper, 1974.
· Hambidge, Jay. Dynamic Symmetry: The Greek Vase. Yale University Press, 1920.
· Hambidge, Jay. The Elements of Dynamic Symmetry. Dover, 1967.
· Hambidge, Jay. The Parthenon and Other Greek Temples: Their Dynamic Symmetry. Yale University Press, 1924.
· Hargittai, István. Symmetry: A Unifying Concept. Shelter, 1994.
· Heilbron, J.L. The Sun in the Church: Cathedrals as Solar Observatories. Harvard University Press, 1999.
· Henderson, Linda Dalrymple. The Fourth Dimension and Non-Euclidean Geometry in Modern Art. Princeton University Press, 1983.
· Huntley, H.E. The Divine Proportion. Dover, 1970.
· Hyatt, Don, Williams, Leila, Mukamel, Eran, et al. Totally Tessellated. ThinkQuest. http://library.thinkquest.org/16661/index2.html
· Ivins, William. Art and Geometry: A Study in Space Intuitions. Harvard University Press, 1946.
· Jones, Lesley, ed. Teaching Mathematics and Art. Stanley Thornes, 1991.
· Kepes, Gyorgy, ed. Structure in Art and Science. Braziller, 1965.
· Koch, Rudolf. The Book of Signs. Dover, 1955. First published, 1930.
· Lehner, Ernst. Symbols, Signs and Signets. Dover, 1950.
· Lenstra, Hendrik, and de Smit, Bart. Escher and the Droste Effect: Applying Mathematics to Escher's Print Gallery. University of Leiden. http://escherdroste.math.leidenuniv.nl/
· Leonardo da Vinci. Treatise on Painting (Codex Urbinas Latinus 1270). Translated by A. Philip MccMahon. Princeton University Press, 1956.
· Linn, Charles. The Golden Mean. Doubleday, 1974.
· MacGillarvy, Caroline. Fantasy and Symmetry: The Periodic Drawings of M.C. Escher. Abrams, 1976. Reprint of Symmetry Aspects of M.C. Escher's Periodic Drawings. A. Oosthoek's Uitgeversmaatschappij, 1965.
· Madoff, Henry. Vestiges and Ruins: Ethics and Geometric Art in the Twentieth Century. Arts Magazine 61.4 (December 1986): 38-40.
· Mandelbrot, Benoit. The Fractal Geometry of Nature. Freeman, 1982.
· Markowsky, George. Misconceptions about the Golden Ratio. College Mathematics Journal 23.1 (January 1992): 2-19.
· Olson, Alton T. Mathematics through Paper Folding. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 1975.
· Ostrow, Steven. Cigoli's Immacolata and Galileo's Moon. Art Bulletin 78 (June 1996): 218-235.
· Palladio, Andrea. The Four Books of Architecture. Dover, 1965.
· Panofsky, Erwin. Studies in Iconology. Harper, 1939.
· Pedoe, Dan. Geometry and the Visual Arts. Dover, 1976.
· Peitgen, Heinz-Otto, et al. Fractals for the Classroom. Springer-Verlag, 1992.
· Plato. Timaeus. Edited and translated by John Warrington. Dent, 1965. Original c. 360 B.C.E.
· Richter, Irma. Rhythmic Forms in Art. John Lane, 1932.
· Rowe, Colin. The Mathematics of the Ideal Villa and Other Essays. MIT Press, 1976.
· Rucker, Rudolph. Geometry, Relativity and the Fourth Dimension. Dover, 1977.
· Schattschneider, Doris. Visions of Symmetry: Notebooks, Periodic Drawings, and Related Works of M.C. Escher. W.H. Freeman, 1990.
· Shlain, Leonard. Art and Physics: Parallel Visions in Space, Time, and Light. Morrow, 1991.
· Sill, Gertrude. A Handbook of Symbols in Christian Art. Collier, 1975.
· Smith, Baldwin. The Dome. Princeton, 1950.
· Smith, Sidney, ed. The Mathematical Art of M.C. Escher. Platonic Realms Minitext, Math Academy Online. http://www.mathacademy.com/pr/minitext/escher/index.asp
· Thompson, Darcy. On Growth and Form. Dover, 1992. First published, 1942.
· Tompkins, Peter. Secrets of the Great Pyramid. Harper, 1971.
· Vasari, Giorgio. The Lives of the Artists. Oxford, 1991. First published, 1550.
· Vitruvius Pollio. The Ten Books on Architecture. Dover, 1960. Also available as Vitruvius: Ten Books on Architecture. Translated by Ingrid Rowland. Cambridge University Press, 1999.
· Vredman de Vries, Jan. Perspective. Dover, 1968. Original c. 1604.
· Wasserman, James. Art and Symbols of the Occult. Destiny, 1993.
· Watts, Donald, and Watts, Carol. A Roman Apartment Complex. Scientific American (December 1986): 132-138.
· Wenniger, Magnus J. Polyhedron Models for the Classroom. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 1966.
· Williams, Kim. Italian Pavements: Patterns in Space. University of Chicago Press, 1998.
· Williams, Kim, ed. Nexus: Architecture and Mathematics. Edizioni dell'Erba, 1996.
· Williams, Kim, ed. Nexus II: Architecture and Mathematics. Edizioni dell'Erba, 1998.
· Williams, Kim, ed. Nexus III: Architecture and Mathematics. Pacini, 2000.
· Wittkower, Rudolf. Architectural Principles in the Age of Humanism. Random House, 1965.
"The Infography about Geometry in Art and Architecture"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA