Medicine -- Chinese -- History
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the history of Chinese medicine.
· ChiMed: The History of Chinese Medicine Webpage. http://www.albion.edu/history/chimed/
· Charlotte Furth. A Flourishing Yin: Gender in China's Medical History, 960-1665. University of California Press, 1998.
· Donald Harper. Early Chinese Medical Literature. The Mawangdui Medical Manuscripts. Translation and Study. The Sir Henry Wellcome Asian Series, Kegan Paul International, 1998.
· Shigehisa Kuriyama. The Expressiveness of the Body and the Divergence of Greek and Chinese Medicine. Zone Books, 2002.
· Vivienne Lo and Christopher Cullen, eds. Medieval Chinese Medicine: The Dunhuang Medical Manuscripts. Routledge, 2005.
· Michel Strickmann. Chinese Magical Medicine. Stanford University Press, 2002.
· Asia's Medical Systems and Traditions: China. Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine. http://asianmedcom.site.securepod.com/research/china/index.htm
· Judith Farquhar. Knowing Practice: The Clinical Encounter of Chinese Medicine. Studies in the Ethnographic Imagination, Westview Press, 1994.
· Marta Hanson. History of Medicine and Culture in China. Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. http://histmed.jhmi.edu/hanson/home/
· Elisabeth Hsu, ed. Innovation in Chinese Medicine. Needham Research Institute Studies 3, Cambridge University Press, 2001.
· Elisabeth Hsu. The Transmission of Chinese Medicine. Cambridge Studies in Medical Anthropology, Cambridge University Press, 1999.
· Arthur Kleinman. Patients and Healers in the Context of Culture. An Exploration of the Borderland between Anthropology, Medicine, and Psychiatry. Comparative Studies of Health Systems and Medical Care 3, University of California Press, 1980.
· Medical Photographic Library. Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine. Search for "lo" in the "Quick Search" field to access photographs about Chinese medicine. http://medphoto.wellcome.ac.uk/
· Fabrizio Pregadio. The Golden Elixir: A Website on Chinese Alchemy. Includes information about Chinese alchemy and classical medicine. http://venus.unive.it/dsao/pregadio/index.html
· Ruth Rogaski. Hygienic Modernity: Meanings of Health and Disease in Treaty-Port China. University of California Press, 2004.
· Volker Scheid. Chinese Medicine in Contemporary China: Plurality and Synthesis. Duke University Press, 2002.
· Nathan Sivin. Chinese Science and Medicine. http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~nsivin/
· Nathan Sivin. Traditional Medicine in Contemporary China: A Partial Translation of Revised Outline of Chinese Medicine (1972) with an Introductory Study on Change in Present-Day and Early Medicine. Science, Medicine, and Technology in East Asia 2, University of Michigan Center for Chinese Studies, 1987.
· Paul Unschuld. Forgotten Traditions of Ancient Chinese Medicine: A Chinese View from the Eighteenth Century. The Yi Xue Yuan Liu Lun of 1757 by Dachun Xu. Paradigm Publications, 1991.
"The Infography about the History of Chinese Medicine"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA