Fortifications -- Europe -- History
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the history of European fortifications.
· Duffy, Christopher. Siege Warfare: The Fortress in the Early Modern World, 1494-1660. Kegan Paul, 1979.
· Duffy, Christopher. The Fortress in the Age of Vauban and Frederick the Great, 1660-1789: Siege Warfare, Volume II. Kegan Paul, 1985.
· Kaufmann, J.E., and R.M. Jurga. Fortress Europe: European Fortifications of World War II. Combined Publishing, 1999.
· Lawrence, A.W. Greek Aims in Fortification. Oxford University Press, 1979.
· Mallory, Keith, and Arvid Ottar. The Architecture of War. Pantheon, 1973. Published as Architecture of Aggession, Architectural Press, 1973.
· Vauban, Sabastien Leprestre de., transl. by George A. Rothrock. A Manual of Siegecraft and Fortification. University of Michigan Press, 1968.
· Bradbury, Jim. The Medieval Siege. Boydell, 1992.
· Hale, J.R. Renaissance Fortification: Art or Engineering? Thames and Hudson, 1977.
· Hughes, Quentin, and Athanassios Migos. Strong as the Rock of Gibralter. Exchange Publications, 1995.
· Kaufmann, J.E., and H.W. Kaufmann. The Maginot Line: None Shall Pass. Praeger, 1997.
· Kemp, Anthony. The Maginot Line: Myth and Reality. Stein and Day, 1982.
· Kerrigan, Paul M. Castles and Fortifications in Ireland, 1485-1945. Collins Press, 1995.
· The Maginot Line. http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/1491/index.html
· McNeill, Tom. Castles in Ireland: Feudal Power in a Gaelic World. Routledge, 1997.
· Pepper, Simon, and Nicholas Adams. Firearms and Fortifications: Military Architecture and Siege Warfare in Sixteenth-Century Siena. University of Chicago Press, 1986.
· Rolf, Rudi, and Peter Saal. Fortress Europe. Airlife, 1986.
· Rowe, Vivian. The Great Wall of France: The Triumph of the Maginot Line. Putnam, 1959.
· Spiteri, Stephen C. Fortresses of the Cross: Hospitaller Military Architecture (1136-1798). Heritage Interpretation Services, 1994.
· Spiteri, Stephen C. British Military Architecture in Malta. The author, 1996.
· Winter, F.E. Greek Fortifications. University of Toronto Press, 1971.
"The Infography about the History of Forts in Europe"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA