Editing Historical Documents
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is editing historical documents.
· Kline, Mary-Jo. A Guide to Documentary Editing, 2nd Edition (Johns Hopkins University Press, 1998). The standard guide in the historical profession for preparing and publishing historical documents.
· Stevens, Michael E., and Steven B. Burg. Editing Historical Documents: A Handbook of Practice (Altamira Press, 1997). A handbook which presents many examples of what modern editors consider as the "best practices" in preparing and publishing historical documents.
· Luey, Beth. Editing Documents and Texts: An Annotated Bibliography (Madison House Publishers, 1990). The author presents an extensive bibliography of reviews of, and commentaries on, published editions of historical documents.
· Chesnutt, David R., Susan Hockey and C.M. Sperberg-McQueen. Markup Guidelines for Documentary Editions (Model Editions Partnership, 1999). The guidelines are based on an international standard and designed to present historical documents on the World Wide Web. http://adh.sc.edu/MepGuide.html
· "Care and Editing of Manuscripts," Harvard Guide to American History, ed. Frank Freidel (Harvard University Press, 1974). This essay provides an interesting historical perspective on the preparation and publication of documents.
· Tanselle, G. Thomas. "The Editing of Historical Documents," Studies in Bibliography 31 (1978), 1-56. This essay is primarily a critique of the textual practices used in preparing historical documents and raises many thoughtful issues.
"The Infography about Editing Historical Documents"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA