Social Movements of the 1960s
The following sources are recommended by a librarian whose research specialty is 1960s social activism.
· Evans, Sara. Personal Politics: The Roots of Women's Liberation in the Movement and the New Left. Random House, 1979.
· Gitlin, Todd. The Sixties: Years of Hope, Days of Rage. Bantam Books, 1987.
· Gitlin, Todd. The Whole World Is Watching: Mass Media in the Making and Unmaking of the New Left. University of California Press, 1980.
· Miller, Jim. Democracy Is in the Streets: From Port Huron to the Siege of Chicago. Simon and Schuster, 1970.
· Sale, Kirkpatrick. SDS. Random House, 1973.
· Wells, Tom. The War Within: America's Battle over Vietnam. University of California Press, 1994.
· Albert, Judith Clavir, and Stewart Edward Albert, eds. The Sixties Papers: Documents of a Rebellious Decade. Praeger, 1984.
· Anderson, Terry H. The Movement and the Sixties. Oxford University Press, 1995.
· Anderson, Terry H. The Sixties. 2nd ed. Pearson/Longman, 2004.
· Baskir, Lawrence M., and William A. Strauss. Chance and Circumstance: The Draft, the War, and the Vietnam Generation. Knopf, 1978.
· The Black Panthers. http://www.blackpanther.org/
· Breines, Wini. Community and Organization in the New Left, 1962-1968: The Great Refusal. Praeger, 1982.
· Carson, Clayborne. In Struggle: SNCC and the Black Awakening of the 1960s. Harvard University Press, 1981.
· Declassified CIA Documents on the Vietnam War. University of Saskatchewan Library. http://library2.usask.ca/vietnam/
· Dickstein, Morris. Gates of Eden: American Culture in the Sixties. Basic Books, 1977.
· Echols, Alice. Daring to Be Bad: Radical Feminism in America, 1967-1975. University of Minnesota Press, 1989.
· Farber, David, ed. The Sixties: From Memory to History. University of North Carolina Press, 1994.
· The Free Speech Movement Archives. http://www.fsm-a.org/
· The History of CORE. Congress of Racial Equality. http://www.core-online.org/History/history%20opening.htm
· The History of the National Organization for Women. National Organization for Women. http://www.now.org/history/index.html
· Isserman, Maurice. If I Had a Hammer: The Death of the Old Left and the Birth of the New Left. University of Illinois Press, 1993.
· Jackson, Rebecca. The 1960s: A Bibliography. http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rjackson/webbibl.html
· Jacobs, Paul, and Saul Landau, eds. The New Radicals: A Report with Documents. Random House, 1966.
· Jones, Landon Y. Great Expectations: America and the Baby Boom Generation. Coward-McCann, 1980.
· King, Mary. Freedom Song: A Personal Story of the 1960s Civil Rights Movement. Morrow, 1987.
· Laughead, George. History: USA: 1960-1969. WWW Virtual Library. http://vlib.iue.it/history/USA/ERAS/20TH/1960s.html
· The 1960s -- Social Unrest and Counterculture: Web Links. American History AP Course. Historyteacher.net. http://www.historyteacher.net/AHAP/Weblinks/AHAP_Weblinks27.htm
· Noble, Eric. The Digger Archives. http://www.diggers.org/
· Lee, Martin A. Acid Dreams: The CIA, LSD, and the Sixties Rebellion. Grove Press, 1985.
· Pawluk, Adam, Scott Griffin, Mark Andrews, and Mark Monaco. SNCC, 1960-1966: Six Years of the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee. ibiblio.org. http://www.ibiblio.org/sncc/
· Peck, Abe. Uncovering the Sixties: The Life and Times of the Underground Press. Pantheon Books, 1985.
· Powers, Thomas. The War at Home: Vietnam and the American People, 1964-1968. Grossman Publishers, 1973.
· Rorabaugh, W.J. Berkeley at War: The 1960s. Oxford University Press, 1989.
· Roszak, Theodore. The Making of a Counter Culture: Reflections on the Technocratic Society and Its Youthful Opposition. Doubleday, 1969.
· Sayres, Sohnya, et al. The 60's without Apology. University of Minnesota Press, 1984.
· Schell, Jonathan. The Time of Illusion. Knopf, 1976.
· The Sixties: 1954-1974. A Biography of America. Annenberg/CPB. http://www.learner.org/biographyofamerica/prog24/index.html
· Small, Melvin, and William D. Hoover, ed. Give Peace a Chance: Exploring the Vietnam Antiwar Movement: Essays from the Charles DeBenedetti Memorial Conference. Syracuse University Press, 1992.
· Tal, Kalí, ed. The Sixties Project. Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities (IATH), University of Virginia. http://lists.village.virginia.edu/sixties/HTML_docs/Sixties.html
· Van Deburg, William L. New Day in Babylon: The Black Power Movement and American Culture, 1965-1975. University of Chicago Press, 1992.
· Viorst, Milton. Fire in the Streets: America in the 1960s. Simon and Schuster, 1979.
· Westbrook, Robert, ed. America in the Sixties: Culture and Counter-Culture. Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute, 1983, vol. 4. http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/guides/1983/4/
· Wittstock, Laura W., and Elaine J. Salinas. A Brief History of the American Indian Movement. American Indian Movement (AIM).
· Zaroulis, Nancy, and Gerald Sullivan. Who Spoke Up? American Protest against the War in Vietnam, 1963-1975. Doubleday, 1984.
"The Infography about Social Movements of the 1960s"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA