Mathematics Education for Deaf Students
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is teaching math to deaf students.
· Pagliaro, C.M. (1998). Mathematics reform in the education of deaf and hard of hearing students. American Annals of the Deaf, 143, 22-28.
· Pagliaro, C.M. (1998). Mathematics preparation and professional development of deaf education teachers. American Annals of the Deaf, 143, 373-379.
· Serrano Pau, C. (1995). The deaf child and solving problems of arithmetic: The importance of comprehensive reading. American Annals of the Deaf, 140, 287-291.
· Stewart, D.A., and Kluwin, T.N. (2001). Teaching Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students: Content, Strategies, and Curriculum. Allyn and Bacon.
· Pagliaro, C.M., and Ansell, E. (2002). Story problems in the deaf education classroom: Frequency and mode of presentation. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 7, 107-119.
· Kelly, R.R., Lang, H.G., and Pagliaro, C.M. (2003). Mathematics word problem solving for deaf students: A survey of practices in Grades 6-12. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 8, 104-119.
· Mousley, K., and Kelly, R. (1998). Problem-solving strategies for teaching mathematics to deaf students. American Annals of the Deaf, 143, 325-336.
· Frostad, P., and Ahlberg, A. (1999). Solving-story-based arithmetic problems: Achievement of children with hearing impairment and their interpretation of meaning. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 4, 283-293.
· Kelly, R.R., Lang, H.G., Mousley, K., and Davis, S. (2003). Deaf college students' comprehension of relational language in arithmetic compare problems. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 8, 120-132.
· Kidd, D.W., Madsen, A.L., and Lamb, C. (1993). Mathematics vocabulary: Performance of residential deaf students. School Science and Mathematics, 93, 6, 418-421.
· Kluwin, T., and Moores, D. (1985). The effects of integration on the mathematics achievement of hearing impaired adolescents. Exceptional Children, 52, 153-160.
· Marschark, M., Lang, H.G., and Albertini, J.A. (2001). Educating Deaf Students: From Research to Practice. Oxford University Press.
· Ansell, E., and Pagliaro, C.M. (2001). Effects of a signed translation on the type and difficulty of arithmetic story problems. Focus on Learning Problems in Mathematics, 23(2 and 3), 41-69.
· Project Solve. Rochester Institute of Technology. http://problemsolve.rit.edu/
"The Infography about Mathematics Education for Deaf Students"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA