Middle East -- International Relations
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is international relations in the Middle East.
· Mark Tessler, A History of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, (Indiana University Press, 1994). An excellent, comprehensive reference to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the larger Arab-Israeli conflict. Takes the story up to the Oslo Agreement.
· William B. Quandt, Peace Process: American Diplomacy and the Arab-Israeli Conflict since 1967, (University of California Press and The Brookings Institution, 1993). The best account of American policy in the Arab-Israeli peace process, by someone who is both an academic and a participant. Stops at the beginning of the Clinton Administration.
· James A. Bill, The Eagle and the Lion: The Tragedy of American-Iranian Relations, (Yale University Press, 1988). The most detailed account of Washington's support for the Shah, the contradictory policy during the Iranian Revolution, and the subsequent crises in the relationship. Necessary background for understanding the halting efforts by both countries to renew ties.
· Lawrence Freedman and Efraim Karsh, The Gulf Conflict, 1990-91: Diplomacy and War in the New World Order, (Princeton University Press, 1993). Still the best general book on the politics of the Gulf War, and probably will be until the archives of the various states involved are opened up.
· William L. Cleveland, A History of the Modern Middle East, 2nd edition, (Westview Press, 2000). The best general political history, aimed at an introductory audience, of the 20th century Middle East. Includes very good background chapters on pre-20th century history as well. Recommended for classroom use.
· John L. Esposito, The Islamic Threat: Myth or Reality? 2nd edition, (Oxford University Press, 1995). A good introduction, by a sympathetic and perceptive observer, to the region-wide Islamic resurgence.
"The Infography about International Relations and the Middle East"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA