Canada -- History -- Economic
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is Canada's economic history.
· Canadian Economic History, online course and text of Professor Robin Neill at Prince Edward Island University. http://www.upei.ca/~rneill/canechist/course_outline.html
· Kenneth Norrie and Douglas Owram, A History of the Canadian Economy, Harcourt Brace, 1996. The standard text in Canadian Economic History.
· M.C. Urquhart and K.A.H. Buckley, Historical Statistics of Canada, (Second Edition) Canada, Minister of Supply and Services, Ottawa, 1983. For strictly quantitative material.
· Douglas McCalla and Michael Humberman (eds.), Perspectives on Canadian Economic History, (Second Edition) Copp Clark Longman, Mississauga, 1994. A book of essays representing a revival in historians' interest in the economic aspect of Canadian history.
· M.H. Watkins and H.M. Grant (eds.), Canadian Economic History: Classic and Contemporary Approaches, Carleton University Press, 1993. A book of essays representing the Left's version of Canadian economic history.
· Neill, Robin. Questions and Answers in Canadian Economic History http://www.upei.ca/~rneill/canechist/introduction.html
· Canada Year Book (Statistics Canada, Ottawa, annual, 1905- ).
· Canadian Economic Observer (Statistics Canada, Ottawa, monthly, 1988- ).
· Donald Paterson and William Marr, Canada: An Economic History, Macmillan, 1980. The only text to take a very quantitative approach; now almost twenty years old.
· Richard Pomfret, The Economic Development of Canada, (Second Edition) Nelson, Scarborough, 1993. A shorter, student friendly book with a more strictly economic approach to history.
· Statistics Canada. Provides the data for the past two decades missing from Canada: An Economic History, but this source is enormous and not at all user friendly. http://www.statcan.ca
"The Infography about the Economic History of Canada"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA