American Musical Theater
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is American musicals.
· Banfield, Stephen. Sondheim's Broadway Musicals. University of Michigan Press, 1993.
· Block, Geoffrey. Enchanted Evenings: The Broadway Musical from "Show Boat" to Sondheim. Oxford University Press, 1997.
· Bordman, Gerald. American Musical Theatre: A Chronicle. Oxford University Press, 1978; 2nd ed., 1992; 3rd ed., 2001.
· Engel, Lehman. The American Musical Theater: A Consideration. Collier, 1967; rev. ed., 1975.
· Mast, Gerald. Can't Help Singin': The American Musical on Stage and Screen. Overlook Press, 1987.
· Swain, Joseph P. The Broadway Musical: A Critical and Musical Survey. Oxford University Press, 2003.
· Clum, John M. Something for the Boys: Musical Theater and Gay Culture. St. Martin's Press, 1999.
· Fields, Armond, and L. Marc Fields. From the Bowery to Broadway: Lew Fields and the Roots of American Popular Theater. Oxford University Press, 1993.
· Forte, Allen. The American Popular Ballad of the Golden Era: 1924-1950. Princeton University Press, 1995.
· Furia, Philip. Poets of Tin Pan Alley: A History of America's Great Lyricists. Oxford University Press, 1990.
· Ganzl, Kurt. The Encyclopedia of the Musical Theatre, 2 vols. Schirmer Books, 1994; 2nd ed., 3 vols., 2000.
· Guernsey, Otis L., Jr., ed. Broadway Song and Story: Playwrights/Lyricists/Composers Discuss Their Hits. Dodd, Mead, 1985.
· Guernsey, Otis L., Jr., ed. Playwrights, Lyricists, Composers on Theater: The Inside Story of a Decade of Theater in Articles and Comments by Its Authors, Selected from Their Own Publication, the Dramatists Guild Quarterly. Dodd, Mead, 1974.
· Hart, Dorothy, and Robert Kimball, eds. The Complete Lyrics of Lorenz Hart. Alfred A. Knopf, 1986; rev. and expanded ed., Da Capo, 1995.
· Hyland, William G. The Song Is Ended: Songwriters and American Music, 1900-1950. Oxford University Press, 1995.
· Kimball, Robert, ed. The Complete Lyrics of Cole Porter. Da Capo, 1992.
· Kimball, Robert, ed. The Complete Lyrics of Ira Gershwin. Alfred A. Knopf, 1993.
· Kimball, Robert, and Linda Emmet, eds. The Complete Lyrics of Irving Berlin. Alfred A. Knopf, 2001.
· Krasker, Tommy, and Robert Kimball. Catalog of the American Musical: Musicals of Irving Berlin, George and Ira Gershwin, Cole Porter, Richard Rodgers, and Lorenz Hart. National Institute for Opera and Musical Theater, 1988.
· Krueger, Miles. Show Boat: The Story of a Classic American Musical. Applause, 1995.
· Laurents, Arthur. Original Story By: A Memoir of Broadway and Hollywood. Alfred A. Knopf, 2000.
· Lerner, Alan Jay. The Street Where I Live. Da Capo, 1994.
· Mandelbaum, Ken. Not since Carrie: Forty Years of Broadway Musical Flops. St. Martin's Press, 1991.
· Miller, Scott. Deconstructing Harold Hill: An Insider's Guide to Musical Theatre. Heinemann, 2000.
· Miller, Scott. From "Assassins" to "West Side Story": The Director's Guide to Musical Theatre. Heinemann, 1996.
· Miller, Scott. Rebels with Applause: Broadway's Groundbreaking Musicals. Heinemann, 2001.
· Mordden, Ethan. Beautiful Mornin': The Broadway Musical in the 1940s. Oxford University Press, 1999.
· Mordden, Ethan. Coming up Roses: The Broadway Musical in the 1950s. Oxford University Press, 1998.
· Mordden, Ethan. Make Believe: The Broadway Musical in the 1920s. Oxford University Press, 1997.
· Mordden, Ethan. Open a New Window: The Broadway Musical in the 1960s. St. Martin's Press, 2002.
· Mordden, Ethan. Rodgers and Hammerstein. Harry N. Abrams, 1999.
· New York Theatre Critics' Reviews (serial), 1943-1995. Previously published as Critics' Theatre Reviews, 1940-1942. Continued as National Theatre Critics' Reviews, 1995-1996.
· Norton, Richard C. A Chronology of American Musical Theater. Oxford University Press, 2002.
· Riis, Thomas L. Just before Jazz: Black Musical Theater in New York, 1890-1915. Smithsonian Institution Press, 1989.
· Rodgers, Richard. Musical Stages: An Autobiography. Random House, 1975; repr., Da Capo, 1995; repr., 2002.
· Smith, Cecil, and Glenn Liton. Musical Comedy in America. Theatre Arts Books, 1950; rev. ed., Routledge, 1991.
· Suskin, Steven. Show Tunes: The Songs, Shows, and Careers of Broadway's Major Composers. Oxford University Press, 2000.
· Wilder, Alec. American Popular Song: The Great Innovators, 1900-1950. Oxford University Press, 1990.
"The Infography about American Musical Theater"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA