Interracial Marriage -- United States
The following sources are recommended by an expert whose research specialty is interracial marriage.
· Hodes, Martha. White Women, Black Men: Illicit Sex in the Nineteenth-Century South. Yale University Press, 1999.
· Lemire, Elise. "Miscegenation": Making Race in America. University of Pennsylvania Press, 2002.
· Moran, Rachel F. Interracial Intimacy: The Regulation of Race and Romance. University of Chicago Press, 2003.
· Romano, Renee Christine. Race Mixing: Black-White Marriage in Postwar America. Harvard University Press, 2003.
· Sollors, Werner, ed. Interracialism: Black-White Intermarriage in American History, Literature, and Law. Oxford University Press, 2000.
· Williamson, Joel. New People: Miscegenation and Mulattoes in the United States. Louisiana State University Press, 1995.
· The Association of MultiEthnic Americans. http://www.ameasite.org/
· Brown, Kathleen. Good Wives, Nasty Wenches, and Anxious Patriarchs: Gender, Race, and Power in Colonial Virginia. University of North Carolina Press, 1996.
· Bynum, Victoria E. "'White Negroes' in Segregated Mississippi: Miscegenation, Racial Identity, and the Law." Journal of Southern History 64, no. 2 (May 1998): 247-76.
· Chachere, Karen A. Visually White, Legally Black: Miscegenation, the Mulatto, and Passing in American Literature and Culture, 1865-1933. Ph.D. dissertation, Illinois State University, 2004.
· Clinton, Catherine, and Michelle Gillespie, eds. The Devil's Lane: Sex and Race in the Early South. Oxford University Press, 1997.
· Cott, Nancy F. Public Vows: A History of Marriage and the Nation. Harvard University Press, 2002.
· DaCosta, Kimberly. "Remaking the Color Line: Social Bases and Implications of the Multiracial Movement." Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Berkeley, 2000.
· Daileader, Celia R. Racism, Misogyny, and the Othello Myth: Inter-Racial Couples from Shakespeare to Spike Lee. Cambridge University Press, 2005.
· Dalmage, Heather, ed. The Politics of Multiracialism: Challenging Racial Thinking. State University of New York Press, 2004.
· Fischer, Kristen. Suspect Relations: Sex, Race, and Resistance in Colonial North Carolina. Cornell University Press, 2001.
· Fowler, David H. Northern Attitudes towards Interracial Marriage: Legislation and Public Opinion in the Middle Atlantic and the States of the Old Northwest, 1780-1930. Garland, 1987.
· Gordon-Reed, Annette. Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: An American Controversy. University Press of Virginia, 1998.
· Hodes, Martha, ed. Sex, Love, Race: Crossing Boundaries in North American History. New York University Press, 1999.
· The Interracial Voice. http://www.webcom.com/intvoice/
· Janken, Kenneth Robert. White: The Biography of Walter White, Mr. NAACP. New Press, 2003.
· Johnson, Kevin, ed. Mixed Race America and the Law: A Reader. New York University Press, 2003.
· Johnston, James Hugo. Race Relations in Virginia and Miscegenation in the South, 1776-1860. University of Massachusetts Press, 1970.
· Kennedy, Randall. Interracial Intimacies: Sex, Marriage, Identity, and Adoption. Vintage, 2004.
· Kinney, James. Amalgamation! Race, Sex, and Rhetoric in the Nineteenth-Century American Novel. Greenwood Press, 1985.
· Lempel, Leonard Richard. The Mulatto in United States Race Relations: Changing Status and Attitudes, 1800-1940. Ph.D. dissertation, Syracuse University, 1979.
· Lubin, Alex. Romance and Rights: The Politics of Interracial Intimacy, 1945-1954. University Press of Mississippi, 2005.
· Martyn, Byron Curti. "Racism in the United States: A History of Anti-Miscegenation Legislation and Litigation." Ph.D. dissertation, University of Southern California, 1979.
· The MAVIN Foundation. An advocacy group for mixed-heritage people and families. http://www.mavinfoundation.org/
· Morgan, Jennifer L. Laboring Women: Reproduction and Gender in New World Slavery. University of Pennsylvania Press, 2004.
· Mumford, Kevin. Interzones: Black/White Sex Districts in Chicago and New York in the Early Twentieth Century. Columbia University Press, 1997.
· Nash, Gary B. "The Hidden History of Mestizo America." Journal of American History 82, no. 3 (December 1995): 941-64.
· Newbeck, Phyl. Virginia Hasn't Always Been for Lovers: Interracial Marriage Bans and the Case of Richard and Mildred Loving. Southern Illinois University Press, 2004.
· Pascoe, Peggy. "Miscegenation Law, Court Cases, and Ideologies of 'Race' in Twentieth-Century America." Journal of American History 83, no. 1 (June 1996): 44-69.
· Perlmann, Joel, and Mary C. Waters, eds. The New Race Question: How the Census Counts Multiracial Individuals. Russell Sage Foundation, 2002.
· Project RACE (Reclassify All Children Equally). An advocacy group for a multiracial census category. http://www.projectrace.com/
· Robinson, Charles Frank. Dangerous Liaisons: Sex and Love in the Segregated South. University of Arkansas Press, 2003.
· Root, Maria P.P. Love's Revolution: Interracial Marriage. Temple University Press, 2001.
· Rothman, Joshua D. Notorious in the Neighborhood: Sex and Families across the Color Line in Virginia, 1787-1861. University of North Carolina Press, 2003.
· Sickels, Robert J. Race, Marriage, and the Law. University of New Mexico Press, 1972.
· Sollors, Werner. Neither Black Nor White Yet Both: Thematic Explorations of Interracial Literature. Oxford University Press, 1997.
· Talalay, Kathryn. Composition in Black and White: The Life of Philippa Schuyler. Oxford University Press, 1995.
· Wallenstein, Peter. Tell the Court I Love My Wife: Race, Marriage, and Law: An American History. Palgrave Macmillan, 2004.
· Weierman, Karen Woods. One Nation, One Blood: Interracial Marriage in American Fiction, Scandal, and Law, 1820-1870. University of Massachusetts Press, 2005.
· Yu, Henry. "Tiger Woods Is Not the End of History, or Why Sex across the Color Line Won't Save Us All." American Historical Review 108, no. 5 (December 2003): 1406-14. http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/history/yu/yu.pdf
· Zack, Naomi, ed. American Mixed Race: The Culture of Microdiversity. Rowman and Littlefield, 1995.
"The Infography about Interracial Marriage in the United States"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA