Horn -- Orchestra Studies
The following sources are recommended by a professor emeritus whose research specialty is the horn.
· Thompson, David B. "The Orchestral Audition Repertoire for Horn: Complete and Unabridged," Second Edition. 1,043 pages. Thompson Edition, Inc. 1995. Contains complete horn parts to over 80 standard orchestral works.
· Krehbiel, David. "Orchestral Excerpts for Horn." Principal hornist of the San Francisco Symphony performs and comments on 20 horn passages from standard orchestral literature. Digital compact disc recording. Orchestra Pro Series, DCD 141, Summit Records. 1993.
· LaBar, Arthur, editor; with performance notes by Howard T. Howard. "Hornist's Opera and Ballet Handbook: A thorough guide to the operatic and ballet horn excerpts most frequently asked on auditions." Phoenix Music Publications, The Netherlands, 1995. ISBN: 9055520330.
· "Horn Call." Journal of the International Horn Society. International Horn Society. Semiannual. Virtually every issue since its inception in 1971 contains one or more articles with tips on performance practice for orchestral horn playing. See especially the series of articles called "Orchestral Excerpt Clinic."
· Moore, Richard C. with Eugene Ettore. "Anthology of French Horn Music." Excerpts from standard orchestral repertoire frequently asked on auditions. Mel Bay Publications, 1986.
· "IVASI System, Master Series for Horn"--An Inter-Active Video Guide for Orchestral Preparation. Forty-six major symphonic works with a conductor using state-of-the-art Hollywood studio techniques are presented. Visit the IVASI web site for more information: http://www.IVASI.org/.
· "The Brass Players Guide" lists dozens of titles in the category "Horn: Orchestra Studies," including excerpt books, and many volumes containing complete parts to various orchestral literature. Published by Robert King Music Sales. Searchable on line at: http://www.rkingmusic.com. Also available in hard copy from: Robert King Music Sales, Inc., 140 Main Street, North Easton, MA 02356.
· A list of great places to purchase music for the horn, including orchestra studies, and individual horn parts for orchestral works: http://www.hornplanet.com/hornpage/linx/sources.html.
· "Horn passages in symphonies of Franz Josef Haydn: a compendium of all difficult exposed excerpts from all of Haydn's symphonies," compiled by Thomas C. Haunton; edited by Gunther Schuller. Margun Music, 1980.
· Farkas, Philip. "Orchestral Passages from the Modern French Repertoire." Durand, 1958.
· Jones, Mason. "20th Century Orchestra Studies." G. Schirmer, 1971.
· Labar, Arthur. "Horn Player's Audition Handbook." Belwin Mills Publishing Corp. 1986.
"The Infography about Orchestra Studies for Horn"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA