The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the red-necked phalarope.
· Rubega, M.A., D. Schamel, and D.M. Tracy. 2000. Red-necked phalarope (Phalaropus lobatus), In The Birds of North America, No. 538 (A. Poole and F. Gill, eds.). The Birds of North America, Inc.
· Brown, R.G.B., and D.E. Gaskin. 1988. The pelagic ecology of the grey and red-necked phalaropes Phalaropus fulicarius and P. lobatus in the Bay of Fundy, eastern Canada. Ibis 130:234-250.
· Colwell, M.A., J.D. Reynolds, C.L. Gratto, D. Schamel, and D.M. Tracy. 1988. Phalarope philopatry. Proc. Int. Ornithol. Congr. 19:585-593.
· Dittman, D.L., and R.M. Zink. 1991. Mitochondrial DNA variation among phalaropes and allies. Auk 108:771-729.
· Reynolds, J.D. 1987. Mating system and nesting biology of the red-necked phalarope Phalaropus lobatus: what constrains polyandry? Ibis 129:225-242.
· Rubega, M.A., and B.S. Obst. 1993. Surface-tension feeding in phalaropes: discovery of a novel feeding mechanism. Auk 110:169-178.
· Cramp, S., and K.E.L. Simmons. 1983. The birds of the Western Palearctic. Vol. 3: waders to gulls. Oxford University Press.
· Hilden, O., and S. Vuolanto. 1972. Breeding biology of the Red-necked phalarope Phalaropus lobatus in Finland. Ornis Fenn. 49:57-85.
· Obst, B.S., W. Hamner, E. Wolanski, M. Hamner, M. Rubega, and B. Littlehales. 1996. Kinematics of phalarope spinning. Nature 384:121.
· Tinbergen, N. 1935. Field observations of East Greenland birds. I. The behavior of the red-necked phalarope (Phalaropus lobatus L.) in spring. Ardea 26:1-42.
· Whitfield, P. 1990. Mate choice and sperm competition as constraints on polyandry in the red-necked phalarope Phalaropus lobatus. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 27:247-254.
· Reynolds, J.D., M.A. Colwell, and F. Cooke. 1986. Sexual selection and spring arrival times of red-necked and Wilson's phalaropes. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 18:303-310.
· Gratto-Trevor, C.L., A.J. Fivizzani, L.W. Oring, and F. Cooke. 1990. Seasonal changes in gonadal steroids of a monogamous versus a polyandrous shorebird. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 80:407-418.
"The Infography about the Red-Necked Phalarope"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA