New York, New York -- Lower East Side
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the Lower East Side of New York City.
· Christopher Mele. 2000. Selling the Lower East Side: Real Estate, Culture and Resistance in New York. University of Minnesota Press.
· Janet Abu-Lughod and others. 1994. From Urban Village to East Village: The Battle for New York's Lower East Side. Blackwell Publishers.
· Mario Maffi. 1994. Gateway to the Promised Land: Ethnic Cultures on New York's Lower East Side. New York University Press.
· Jagna Sharff. 1998. King Kong on 4th Street: Families and the Violence of Poverty on the Lower East Side. Westview Press.
· Elizabeth Ewen. 1985. Immigrant Women in the Land of Dollars: Life and Culture on the Lower East Side. Monthly Review Press.
· Leo Grebler. 1952. Housing Market Behavior in a Declining Area: Long-term Changes in Inventory and Utilization of Housing on New York's Lower East Side. Columbia University Press.
· Frank DeGiovanni. 1987. Displacement Pressures in the Lower East Side. Community Service Society.
· Harry Schwartz and Peter Ables. 1973. Planning for the Lower East Side. Praeger Publishers.
· Neil Smith. 1996. The New Urban Frontier: Gentrification and the Revanchist City. Routledge.
· Joan Turner. 1984. Building Boundaries: The Politics of Urban Renewal in Manhattan's Lower East Side. PhD dissertation, City University of New York.
· Christopher Mele. 1996. "Globalization, Culture and Neighborhood Change: Reinventing the Lower East Side of New York," Urban Affairs Review. Volume 32, No. 1, September: 3-22.
"The Infography about the Lower East Side of New York City"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA