The following sources are recommended by an expert whose research specialty is slate roofs.
· Jenkins, Joseph. The Slate Roof Bible: Understanding, Installing and Restoring the World's Finest Roof. Jenkins Publishing, 2003.
· Behre, Charles H. Slate in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania Geological Survey, Fourth Series, Bulletin M16. Pennsylvania Department of Internal Affairs, Topographic and Geologic Survey, 1933.
· Dale, T. Nelson, et al. Slate in the United States. U.S. Department of the Interior, Geological Survey, Bulletin 586. U.S. Government Printing Office, 1914.
· Seigas, Jose Luis Menendez. Architecture and Techniques of Slate Roofing. Centro Technologico de la Pizarra de Galicia, 1995.
· National Slate Association. Slate Roofs. National Slate Association, 1926. Reprinted by Vermont Structural Slate, 1977.
· Levine, Jeffrey S. The Repair, Replacement and Maintenance of Historic Slate Roofs. U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Preservation Briefs No. 29. U.S. Government Printing Office, 1993. http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/tps/briefs/brief29.htm
· Auld, David. The Slate Roofer: A Book Comprising Roofing Slate Tables, Rules for Measuring Slate Work, Designs for Ornamental Work, Nails Required for a Square, Rules and Information for New Beginners, and Other Valuable Information for the Use of Quarrymen, Roofers, Architects and Dealers. Auld and Conger, 1818. Various later editions were published.
· Behre, Charles H. Slate in Northampton County, Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania Geological Survey, Fourth Series, Bulletin M9. Pennsylvania Department of Forests and Waters, Topographic and Geologic Survey, 1927.
· Bowles, Oliver. The Stone Industries: Dimension Stone, Crushed Stone, Geology, Technology, Distribution, Utilization. McGraw-Hill, 1934.
· Jenkins Slate Roofing Services. http://www.jenkinsslate.com/
· Lindsay, Jean. A History of the North Wales Slate Industry. David and Charles, 1974.
· National Roofing Contractors Association. The NRCA Roofing and Waterproofing Manual. National Roofing Contractors Association, 2003.
· National Slate Association. http://www.slateassociation.org/
· Richards, Alun John. Slate Quarrying in Wales. Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, 1995.
· Sallery, Dave. The Slate Industry of North and Mid Wales. http://www.penmorfa.com/Slate/
· Slate Valley Museum. http://www.slatevalleymuseum.org/
· Stone Roofing Association. http://www.stoneroof.org.uk/
· Traditional Roofing Newsletter. http://www.traditionalroofing.com/
· Williams, Merfyn. The Slate Industry. Shire Publications, 1999.
"The Infography about Slate Roofing"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA