Mass Media -- Uses and Effects
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the mass media.
· Andreasen, A.R. (1995). Marketing social change: Changing behavior to promote health, social development, and the environment. Jossey-Bass.
· Bandura, A. (1986). Social foundations of thought and action: A social-cognitive theory. Prentice Hall.
· Batra, R., and Ray, M.L. (1985). How advertising works at contact. In L.F. Alwitt and A.A. Mitchell (eds.), Psychological processes and advertising effects. Lawrence Erlbaum.
· Katz, E., Blumler, J.G., and Gurevitch, M. (1974). Utilization of mass communication by the individual. In J.G. Blumler and E. Katz (eds.), The uses of mass communications: Current perspectives on gratifications research. Sage.
· Petty, R.E., and Cacioppo, J.M. (1985). The elaboration likelihood model of persuasion. Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 19, 123-205.
· Prochaska, J.O., and DiClemente, C.C. (1983). Stages and processes of self change of smoking: Toward an integrative model of change. Journal of Consumer Research, 10, 134-148.
· Basil, M.D. (1996). Identification as a mediator of celebrity effects. Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, 40, 478-495.
· Basil, M.D., and Brown, W.J. (1997). Marketing AIDS prevention: The differential impact hypothesis versus identification effects. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 6, 389-411.
· Kotler, P., and Zaltman, G. (1971). Social marketing: An approach to planned social change. Journal of Marketing, 35, 3-12.
· Manoff, R.K. (1985). Social marketing: New imperatives for public health. Prager.
· Maslow, A. (1943). A theory of human motivation. Psychological Review, 50, 370-396.
· McGuire, W.J. (1989). Theoretical foundations of campaigns. In R.E. Rice and C.K. Atkin (eds.), Public communication campaigns. Sage.
· Palmgreen, P., Wenner, L.A., and Rosengren, K.E. (1985). Uses and gratifications research: The past ten years. In K.E. Rosengren, L.A. Wenner, and P. Palmgreen (eds.), Media gratifications research: Current perspectives. Sage.
· Rubin, A.M., and Perse, E.M. (1987). Audience activity and television news gratifications. Communication Research, 14, 58-84.
"The Infography about the Uses and Effects of Mass Media"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA