Music -- Bulgarian
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is Bulgarian music.
· Rice, Timothy. 1994. "May It Fill Your Soul": Experiencing Bulgarian Music. University of Chicago Press.
· Rice, Timothy. 2000. "Bulgaria." In The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music, Volume 8: Europe, eds. Timothy Rice, James Porter, and Chris Goertzen, 890-910. Garland Publishing.
· Buchanan, Donna A. 2001. "Bulgaria II. Traditional." In the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, revised edition, ed. Stanley Sadie. Macmillan Publishers, Ltd.
· Silverman, Carol. 1989. "Reconstructing Folklore: Media and Cultural Policy in Eastern Europe." Communication 11:141-60.
· Buchanan, Donna A. 1995. "Metaphors of Power, Metaphors of Truth: The Politics of Music Professionalism in Bulgarian Folk Orchestras." Ethnomusicology 39(3):381-416.
· Krustev, Venelin. 1978. Bulgarian Music. Sofia-Press.
· Buchanan, Donna A. 1996. "Wedding Musicians, Political Transition, and National Consciousness in Bulgaria." In Retuning Culture: Musical Changes in Central and Eastern Europe, ed. Mark Slobin, 200-230. Duke University Press.
· Buchanan, Donna A. 1996. "Dispelling the Mystery: The Commodification of Women and Musical Tradition in Le mystère des voix bulgares." Balkanistica (Special issue on Bulgaria: Bulgaria: Transitions and Turning Points: Papers from the Fifth Joint Meeting of Bulgarian and North American Scholars, ed. Donald L. Dyer, 9(Summer):193-210.
· Buchanan, Donna A. 1997. "Bulgaria's Magical Mystère Tour: Postmodernism, World Music Marketing, and Political Change in Eastern Europe." Ethnomusicology 41(1):131-157.
· Forsyth, Martha. 1996. Listen, Daughter, and Remember Well. St. Kliment Ohridski University Press.
· Katsarova, Raina. 1982. "Bulgarian Funeral Laments," translated by D. Minkova and A.L. Lloyd. International Folklore Review 2:112-30.
· Levy, Mark. 1985. "The Bagpipe in the Rhodope Mountains of Bulgaria." Unpub. Ph.D. dissertation, University of California at Los Angeles.
· Petrov, Stoyan and Nikolai Kaufman. 1980. "Bulgaria." In The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, Volume 3:430-38.
· Rice, Timothy. 1980. "Aspects of Bulgarian Musical Thought." Yearbook of the International Folk Music Council 12:43-66.
· Rice, Timothy. 1988. "Understanding Three-Part Singing in Bulgaria: The Interplay of Theory and Experience." Selected Reports in Ethnomusicology 7:43-57.
· Rice, Timothy. 1996. "The Dialectic of Economics and Aesthetics in Bulgarian Music." In Retuning Culture: Musical Changes in Central and Eastern Europe, ed. Mark Slobin, 176-199. Duke University Press.
· Silverman, Carol. 1983. "The Politics of Folklore in Bulgaria." Anthropological Quarterly 56:55-61.
· Silverman, Carol. 1996. "Music and Marginality: Roma (Gypsies) of Bulgaria and Macedonia." In Retuning Culture: Musical Changes in Central and Eastern Europe, ed. Mark Slobin, 231-253. Duke University Press.
"The Infography about Bulgarian Music"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA