Africa -- European Imperialism
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the colonization of Africa.
· Michael Crowder, ed. 1971. West African Resistance: The Military Response to Colonial Occupation. Hutchinson.
· Lewis Gann and Peter Duignan, eds. 1969. Colonialism in Africa: The History and Politics of Colonialism, 1870-1914. Vol. I. Cambridge University Press.
· Prosser Gifford and William Roger Lewis, eds. 1967. Britain and Germany in Africa. Yale University Press.
· Adam Hochschild. 1998. King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa. Houghton Mifflin.
· A.S. Kanya-Forstner. 1969. The Conquest of the Western Sudan. Cambridge University Press.
· Thomas Packenham. 1991. The Scramble for Africa, 1876-1912. Random House (reprinted 1997, Jonathan Ball).
· Eric Axelson. 1967. Portugal and the Scramble for Africa, 1875-1891. Witwatersrand University Press.
· Winifred Baumgart. 1982. Imperialism: The Idea and Reality of British and French Colonial Expansion, 1880-1914. Oxford University Press.
· Helmut Bley. 1971. South-West Africa under German Rule, 1894-1914. Heinemann.
· Henri Brunschwig. 1966. French Colonialism, 1871-1914: Myths and Realities. Pall Mall Press, Praeger.
· James Duffy. 1961. Portuguese Africa. Harvard University Press.
· Hagai Erlikh. 1996. Ras Alula and the Scramble for Africa: A Political Biography: Ethiopia and Eritrea, 1875-1897. Red Sea Press.
· Lewis Gann and Peter Duignan. 1971. Burden of Empire: An Appraisal of Western Colonialism in Africa South of the Sahara. Hoover Institution Press.
· Daniel Headrick. 1981. The Tools of Empire: Technology and European Imperialism in the Nineteenth Century. Oxford University Press.
· Martin A. Klein. 1968. Islam and Imperialism in Senegal: Sine-Saloum, 1847-1914. Edinburgh University Press.
· David S. Landes. 1958. Bankers and Pashas: International Finance and Economic Imperialism in Egypt. Harper and Row.
· David L. Lewis. 1987 (reprinted 1988). The Race to Fashoda: European Colonialism and African Resistance in the Scramble for Africa. Weidenfeld and Nicolsen.
· Martin Meredith. 2005. The Fate of Africa: From the Hopes of Freedom to the Heart of Despair: A History of Fifty Years of Independence. Public Affairs.
· Anthony Nutting. 1970 (reprinted 1994). Scramble for Africa: The Great Trek to the Boer War. Constable.
· Ronald Robinson and John Gallagher. 1961. Africa and the Victorians: The Official Mind of Imperialism. St. Martins.
· Woodruff D. Smith. 1982 (reprinted 1995). European Imperialism in the 19th and 20th Centuries: An Examination of the Economic and Political Factors that Determined the Direction of European Colonial Expansion. Nelson Hall.
· Bruce Vandervort. 1998. Wars of Imperial Conquest in Africa, 1830-1914. Indiana University Press.
"The Infography about European Imperialism in Africa"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA