Indigenous Peoples -- Knowledge Systems
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is native people's philosophy.
· Spirit and Reason: The Vine Deloria, Jr., Reader ed. by Barbara Deloria, et al. (Fulcrum Publishing, 1999).
· Native Science: Natural Laws of Interdependence by Gregory Cajete (Clear Light Publishers, 2000).
· Decolonizing Methodologies: Research and Indigenous Peoples by Linda Tuhiwai Smith (Zed Books, 1999).
· Regeneration in the Andes by Frédérique Apffel-Marglin and Julio-Valladolid Rivera (Intercultural Institute of Montreal, 1993).
· Singing the Land, Signing the Land by Helen Watson and Wade Chambers (Deakin University Press, 1989).
· Indigenous Studies Online (Institute of American Indian Arts). http://www.iaia.edu/nep/index.html
· God Is Red: A Native View of Religion by Vine Deloria, Jr. (Fulcrum Publishing, 1994).
· Tribal Secrets: Recovering American Indian Intellectual Traditions ed. by Robert Allen Warrior (University of Minnesota Press, 1995).
· Native American Cultural Issues ed. by Duane Champagne (AltaMira Press, 1999).
· Beyond Intellectual Property: Toward Traditional Resource Rights for Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities by Darrell A. Posey and Graham Dutfield (International Development Research Centre, 1996).
· Living Maths by Merle Barra Thornton (Boulder Valley Films, 1996).
· "The Euro-American Philosophical Tradition and Its Ability to Examine Indigenous Philosophy" by Thurman Lee Hester and Dennis McPherson, Ayaangwaamizin: An International Journal of Indigenous Philosophy, Vol. 1 No.1 (1997):3-10.
· "Understanding Maori Epistemology" by Mere Roberts and Peter Willis, in Tribal Epistemologies ed. by H. Wautischer (Ashgate, 1998): 43-77.
· "Indigenous Peoples and the Cultural Politics of Knowledge" by Laurie Anne Whitt, in Issues in American Indian Cultural Identity ed. by Michael Green (Peter Lang, 1995): 223-271.
· "Biocolonialism and the Commodification of Knowledge" by Laurie Anne Whitt, Science as Culture, Vol. 7 No.1 (1998): 33-67.
"The Infography about Knowledge Systems of Indigenous Peoples"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA