Music -- Laos
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is music in Laos.
· Miller, Terry E. Traditional Music of the Lao: Kaen Playing and Mawlum Singing in Northeast Thailand. Greenwood Press, 1985.
· Chonpairot, Jarernchai. "Lam Khon Sawan: A Vocal Genre of Southern Laos." Ph.D. Dissertation, Kent State University, 1990.
· Mahoney, Therese Mary. "The White Parasol and the Red Star: The Lao Classical Music Culture in a Climate of Change." Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California at Los Angeles, 1995.
· Miller, Terry, and Sean Williams, eds. The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music, Volume 4: Southeast Asia. Garland, 1998. Including "Laos," by Terry E. Miller, pp. 335-362.
· Berval, Rene de, ed. Kingdom of Laos: The Land of the Million Elephants and of the White Parasol. Trans. from French by Teissier du Cros. France-Asie, 1959.
· Miller, Terry E. "The Past as Future for the Regional Music of Laos." In New Laos, New Challenges, ed. Jacqueline Butler-Diaz, pp. 87-96. Arizona State University, 1998.
"The Infography about Laotian Music"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA