Horn -- Music
The following sources are recommended by a professor emeritus whose research specialty is horn music.
· Bacon, Thomas. A Horn Player's Study Guide, Southern Music Company, 1992. Contains suggested repertoire for six different levels of performance ability. http://www.hornplanet.com/hornpage/studyguide/index.html
· "The Brass Players Guide" lists over 28,000 brass music titles available in print. Published by Robert King Music Sales. Searchable on line at: http://www.rkingmusic.com/. Also available in hard copy from: Robert King Music Sales, Inc., 140 Main Street, North Easton, MA 02356.
· "Horn Call." Journal of the International Horn Society. International Horn Society. Semiannual. Each issue has many reviews of music for the horn.
· Sources for Published Music. A list of great places to purchase music for the horn. http://www.hornplanet.com/hornpage/linx/sources.html
· Gregory, Robin. "The Horn: a comprehensive guide to the modern instrument and its music," second edition. Faber and Faber, London 1969. ISBN: 571046673.
· Pizka, Hans: "Das Horn bei Mozart / Mozart and the Horn." Kirchheim bei München, H. Pizka Edition, 1980. An intense study of the Mozart horn concerti. Includes complete facsimile scores, edition comparisons, cadenzas of different horn soloists and many illustrations. Text in German and English. ISBN: 3922409008.
· Bourgue, Daniel. "Conversations about the Horn" (translated from French by Nancy Fako). Published by International Music Diffusion, Paris, 1996. Includes list of horn repertoire and discussion of many examples of horn music.
· Brüchle, Bernhard. "Horn Bibliographie," in three volumes. Heinrichshofen Verlag, Wilhelmshaven. Lists everything published for the horn (up to 1983). In German. Vol. I - ISBN: 3795900255, 1970; Vol. II - ISBN: 3795901464, 1975; Vol. III - ISBN: 3795903270, 1983.
· Coar, Birchard. "The French Horn." Copyright 1947, Dr. Birchard Coar, DeKalb, Illinois. Includes discussion of horn music written by various composers from the 1700s up to the early 20th Century.
· Horn Articles Online. By John Q. Ericson. Articles on many aspects of the French Horn and its music. http://www.public.asu.edu/~jqerics/articles_online.htm
· Reynolds, Verne. "The Horn Handbook." Amadeus Press, 1997. ISBN: 1574670166. Includes discussion of many pieces in the standard horn repertoire.
· Schuller, Gunther. "Horn Technique." Second edition. Oxford University Press, 1992. ISBN: 0198162774. Includes a repertoire list of music for horn.
"The Infography about Music for the Horn"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA