Indigenous Peoples -- Environmental Issues
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is native people's stewardship of the natural world.
· Struggle for the Land: Indigenous Resistance to Genocide, Ecocide, and Expropriation in Contemporary North America by Ward Churchill (Common Courage Press, 1993).
· The Ecocide of Native America: Environmental Destruction of Indian Lands and Peoples by Donald A. Grinde, Jr., and Bruce E. Johansen (Clear Light Publishers, 1995).
· All Our Relations: Native Struggles for Land and Life by Winona LaDuke (South End Press, 1999).
· Defending Mother Earth: Native American Perspectives on Environmental Justice ed. by Jace Weaver (Orbis Books, 1996).
· Indigenous Environmental Network. http://www.ienearth.org/
· First Nations Environmental Network. http://www.fnen.org/
· The New Resource Wars: Native and Environmental Struggles against Multinational Corporations by Al Gedicks (South End Press, 1994).
· Strangers Devour the Land by Boyce Richardson (Chelsea Green Publishing, 1991).
· "Living between Water and Rocks: First Nations, Environmental Planning and Democracy" by John Burrows, University of Toronto Law Journal, Vol. 47 (1997): 417-68.
· "Nature and Culture: Problematic Concepts for Native Americans" by Jack Forbes, Ayaangwaamizin: An International Journal of Indigenous Philosophy, Vol. 1 No. 2 (1997):3-22.
· "Kaitiakitanga: Maori Perspectives on Conservation" by Mere Roberts, et al., Pacific Conservation Biology, Vol. 2 (1995): 7-20.
· "Indigenous Perspectives" by Laurie Anne Whitt, Mere Roberts, Waerete Norman, and Vicki Grieves, in A Companion to Environmental Philosophy ed. by Dale Jamieson (Basil Blackwell, 2000): 3-20.
· "Large Binocular Telescopes, Red Squirrel Piñatas and Apache Sacred Mountains: Decolonizing Environmental Law in a Multicultural World" by Robert A. Williams, Jr., West Virginia Law Review, Vol. 95 (1994): 1133-64.
"The Infography about Environmental Issues of Indigenous Peoples"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA