Coins -- Colonial American
The following sources are recommended by a librarian whose research specialty is the early coins of America.
· Sylvester Sage Crosby. The Early Coins of America; and the Laws Governing Their Issue. Crosby, 1875, Reprint, New York: Sanford Durst, 1983.
· Philip Mossman. Money of the American Colonies and Confederation Period: A Numismatic, Economic and Historical Correlation. Numismatic Studies, number 20, American Numismatic Society, 1993.
· Walter Breen. Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins. Doubleday, 1988.
· Eric P. Newman and Richard Doty, editors. Studies on Money in Early America, American Numismatic Society, 1976.
· Louis Jordan, The Coins of Colonial and Early America, with images coordinated by James Spilman and the Colonial Newsletter Foundation, a regularly updated website. first mounted in early 1998, University of Notre Dame. http://www.coins.nd.edu/
· R.S. Yeoman, A Guide Book of United States Coins, annual price guide, 52nd edition in 1999, Golden Books.
-- TWO SERIES --
· Proceeding of the Coinage of the Americas Conference, an annual publication started in 1985, published by the American Numismatic Society; especially important are Vol. 7, 1992, Money of Pre-Federal America, edited by John Kleeberg, and Vol. 11, 1996, Coinage of the Confederation Period, edited by Philip L. Mossman, 165-259.
· The Colonial Newsletter, 1960-present, a quarterly publication of articles on colonial American numismatics, edited by James Spilman for many years, recently taken over by Philip Mossman and the American Numismatic Society.
-- FOUR CATALOGS --
· Bowers and Ruddy Galleries, The Garrett Collection Sales, auctions held in New York City, in four parts: part 1, November 28-29, 1979; part 2, March 26-27, 1980; part 3, October 1-2, 1980; part 4, March 25-26, 1981; Bowers and Ruddy Galleries: Los Angeles, CA.
· Stack's, The John L. Roper, 2nd Collection of Colonial and Early American Coins, auction held in New York City, December 8-9, 1983, Stacks: New York.
· Bowers and Merena, Inc., The Frederick B. Taylor Collection and Other Properties, auction held in New York City, March 26-28, 1987, Bowers and Merena: Wolfboro, NH.
· Bowers and Merena, Inc., The Norweb Collection, auctions held in New York City in three parts: part 1, October 12-13, 1987; part 2, March 24-25, 1988; part 3, November 14-15, 1988, Bowers and Merena: Wolfboro, NH.
"The Infography about Colonial American Coins"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA