Galapagos Islands -- Flora
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the flora of the Galapagos Islands.
· Ira L. Wiggins and Duncan M. Porter, Flora of the Galapagos Islands. Stanford University Press, 1971. The classical study of the flowering plants and ferns of the islands. Contains keys, descriptions, and illustrations.
· Conley K. McMullen, Flowering Plants of the Galapagos. Comstock Publishing Associates, 1999. A recent work on the flowering plants of the islands, with descriptions and color photographs of most species.
· Michael H. Jackson, Galapagos: A Natural History. University of Calgary Press, 1994. The best guide to Galapagos organisms, with photographs and short descriptions of common flowering plants and ferns. It has good discussions of vegetation types and geographical relationships of the plants.
· Duncan M. Porter, "The vascular plants of Joseph Dalton Hooker's An Enumeration of the Plants of the Galapagos Archipelago; with descriptions of those which are new." Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, 81: 79-134 (1980). A study of the first flora of the islands, published in 1847 and based mainly on the 1835 collections of Charles Darwin. Contains a discussion of early plant collecting in the islands.
· Duncan M. Porter, "Geography and dispersal of Galapagos Islands vascular plants." Nature, 264: 745-746 (1976). The first study of the relationships of the flora since the 1916.
· Duncan M. Porter, "Relationships of the Galapagos flora." Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 21: 243-251 (1984). The most up-to-date discussion of the relationships of the flora.
· Duncan M. Porter, "Charles Darwin's plant collections from the voyage of the Beagle." Journal of the Society for the Bibliography of Natural History, 9: 515-525 (1980). The history of the collections.
· Duncan M. Porter, "Darwin's notes on Beagle plants." Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History), Historical Series, 14: 145-233 (1987). Discussions of the vascular plants, algae, and fungi collected by Darwin on the voyage of the Beagle, including those from the Galapagos Islands.
"The Infography about Flora of the Galapagos Islands"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA