Mormon Pioneer Trail
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the Mormon Trail.
· Brown, Joseph E. The Mormon Trek West: The Journey of American Exiles. Doubleday, 1980.
· Hafen, LeRoy R., and Ann W. Hafen. Handcarts to Zion: The Story of a Unique Western Migration, 1856-1860. Arthur H. Clark, 1960; reprint, University of Nebraska Press, 1992.
· Hill, William E. The Mormon Trail: Yesterday and Today. Utah State University Press, 1996.
· Kimball, Stanley B. Historic Sites and Markers along the Mormon and Other Great Western Trails. University of Illinois Press, 1988.
· Stegner, Wallace. The Gathering of Zion: The Story of the Mormon Trail. McGraw-Hill, 1964; reprint, University of Nebraska Press, 1981.
· U.S. National Park Service. Mormon Pioneer Trail : National Historic Trail, Illinois to Utah. U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, 1995.
-- BOOKS --
· Allen, James B., and John W. Welch, eds. Coming to Zion. BYU Studies, 1997.
· Arrington, Leonard J., and Rebecca Cornwall. Rescue of the 1856 Handcart Companies. Brigham Young University Press, 1981.
· Berrett, Lamar C. The Mormon Trail: Fort Bridger to Salt Lake Valley. Utah Crossroads Chapter, Oregon-California Trails Association, 1993.
· Cannon, D. James, ed. Centennial Caravan: Story of the Reenactment of the Original Mormon Trek from Nauvoo, Illinois, to Salt Lake Valley, July 14 to 22, 1947. Sons of the Utah Pioneers, 1948.
· DeLafosse, Peter H., ed. Trailing the Pioneers: A Guide to Utah's Emigrant Trails, 1829-1869. Utah State University Press and Utah Crossroads Chapter of the Oregon-California Trails Association, 1994.
· Kimball, Stanley B. Discovering Mormon Trails: New York to California, 1831-1868. Deseret Book, 1979.
· Kimball, Stanley B. Mormon Trail, Voyage of Discovery: The Story behind the Scenery. KC Publications, 1995.
· Kimball, Stanley B., and James B. Allen, eds. William Clayton's The Latter-Day Saints' Emigrants' Guide. Patrice Press, 1983.
· Kimball, Stanley B., and Hal Knight. 111 Days to Zion. Deseret News, 1978.
· Korns, Roderic, and Dale Morgan, eds. West from Fort Bridger: The Pioneering of the Immigrant Trails across Utah, 1846-1850. Revised by Will Bagley and Harold Schindler. Utah State University Press, 1994.
· Madsen, Susan Arrington. I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail. Deseret Book, 1994.
· Mattes, Merrill J. The Great Platte River Road: The Covered Wagon Mainline via Fort Kearny to Fort Laramie. University of Nebraska Press, 1969.
· Slaughter, William W., and Michael Landon. Trail of Hope: The Story of The Mormon Trail. Shadow Mountain, 1997.
· Turner, Lynne Slater. Emigrating Journals of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies and the Hunt and Hodgett Wagon Trains. L.S. Turner, 1996.
· Unruh, John D., Jr. The Plains Across: The Overland Emigrants and the Trans-Mississippi West, 1840-60. University of Illinois Press, 1979.
· Woodward, Don C., ed. The Great Trek: New Footsteps on the Old Mormon Trail. Deseret News, 1997.
-- ARTICLES --
· Buckley, Jay H. "Crossing the Great Plains: A Sesquicentennial Look at the 1847 Mormon Pioneer Trek West." Overland Journal 15 (Autumn 1997): 5-14.
· Ellsworth, S. George. "The Mormon Trail." In Pioneer Trails West, edited by Don Worcester. Caxton Printers, 1985.
· Hartley, William G. "Down and Back Wagon Trains: Travelers on the Mormon Trail in 1861." Overland Journal 11 (Winter 1993): 23-34.
· Jackson, Richard H. "The Overland Journey to Zion." In The Mormon Role in the Settlement of the West, 1-27, edited by Richard H. Jackson. Brigham Young University Press, 1978.
· Kasparek, Bob. "A Tour of the Mormon Pioneer Trail." Overland Journal 5 (Spring 1987): 35-40.
· Kimball, Stanley B. "The Mormon Migrations of 1846-68 in Perspective." Overland Journal 14 (Spring 1996): 15-22.
· Kimball, Stanley B. "Mormon Trail Network in Iowa, 1838-63." BYU Studies 21 (Fall 1981): 417-30.
· Kimball, Stanley B. "Mormon Trail Network in Nebraska, 1846-1868: A New Look." BYU Studies 24 (Summer 1984): 321-36.
· Martin, Charles W., and Dorothy Devereux Dustin. "The Omaha-Council Bluffs Area and the Westward Trails." Overland Journal 7 (1989): 2-11.
· Mattes, Merrill J. "The Council Bluffs Road: New Perspectives on the Northern Branch of the Great Platte River Road." Nebraska History 65 (1984): 179-94.
· Mattes, Merrill J. "The Council Bluffs Road: Northern Branch of the Great Platte River Road." Overland Journal 3 (Fall 1985): 30-42.
· Mattes, Merrill J. "The Northern Route of the Non-Mormons: Rediscovery of Nebraska's Forgotten Historic Trail." Overland Journal 8 (1990): 2-14.
· Monaghan, Jay. "Handcarts on the Overland Trail." Nebraska History 30 (March 1949): 3-18.
· Mortensen, A.R. "Mormons, Nebraska, and the Way West." Nebraska History 46 (December 1965): 259-72.
-- GENERAL REFERENCES --
· Allen, James B., Ronald W. Walker, and David J. Whittaker, eds. Studies in Mormon History, 1830-1997: An Indexed Bibliography. University of Illinois Press, 2000.
· Ludlow, Daniel H., ed. The Encyclopedia of Mormonism. Macmillan, 1992.
· Whittaker, David J., ed. Mormon Americana: A Guide to Sources and Collections in the United States. BYU Studies, 1995.
-- OTHER MEDIA --
· The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. http://www.lds.org/
· Trail of Hope: The Story of the Mormon Trail. PBS video. 1997.
· U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service. Search for "Mormon Trail" using quotation marks. http://www.nps.gov/
"The Infography about the Mormon Pioneer Trail"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA