Travel -- Micronesia
The following sources are recommended by an expert whose research specialty is visiting Miconesia in the South Pacific Ocean.
· The CNMI Guide. A complete guide to the Northern Mariana islands with photo galleries, maps, graphs, and a large collection of essays and publications. http://www.cnmi-guide.com/
· Federated States of Micronesia Visitors Board. The official tourism site of the FSM Visitors Board, representing the states of Yap, Chuuk, Pohnpei, and Kosrae. http://www.visit-micronesia.fm/
· Marshall Islands Visitors Authority. Official website of the Marshall Islands Visitors Authority, serving the easternmost archipelago of Micronesia. http://www.visitmarshallislands.com/
· Micronesian Seminar (MicSem). A Jesuit educational institution concerned with social issues throughout Micronesia. The site offers outstanding photo albums and videos, plus discussion forums, articles, and the possibility of searching the institute's vast library. http://www.micsem.org/
· Moon Handbooks Micronesia. The original travel guide to the Marshall, Mariana, Caroline, and Gilbert islands. http://www.southpacific.org/micro.html
· My Micronesia. Forums, news, events, links, travel, scuba diving, and weather in the nine Micronesian states and countries. http://www.mymicronesia.com/
· Beyond the Reef. This dive shop at Yap, Western Caroline Islands, can take you diving with sharks and manta rays. http://www.diveyap.com/
· Coming Home to Banaba. Based on a BBC television program about exiled islanders and former miners who revisit a tiny Pacific island devastated by phosphate mining. http://www.banaba.org.uk/
· Dive Rota. Established in 1986, this full service dive shop on the island of Rota, Northern Mariana Islands, offers fishing charters as well as scuba diving. http://www.diverota.com/
· Go, Janet G. Where America's Day Begins: A Reporter in Guam and Micronesia. Xlibris, 2002. A humorous account of life, travel and history in the Northern Pacific.
· Guam Tropical Dive Station. GTDS is one of Guam's largest dive shops, offering daily boat dives at 9:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. http://www.gtds.com/
· Guam U.S.A. An official tourism site for the Western Pacific territory where America's day begins. http://www.guamusatour.com/
· Hezel, Francis X. The New Shape of Old Island Cultures: A Half Century of Social Change in Micronesia. University of Hawaii Press, 2001. A leading Jesuit scholar examines the many challenges facing Micronesia.
· Kiribati. Literary, linguistic, and philatelic references relating to the former British Gilbert Islands Colony, now the Republic of Kiribati. http://www.trussel.com/f_kir.htm
· Kluge, P.F. The Edge of Paradise: America in Micronesia. University of Hawaii Press, 1993. A full-length, feature portrait of Micronesia bursting with vignettes of island players and politicians.
· Map of Micronesia. A map of the entire North Pacific with travel information and vacation planning tips. http://www.mapsouthpacific.com/micronesia/
· Marianas Visitors Authority. Official site of the Marianas Visitors Authority, your resource for information about the islands of Saipan, Tinian and Rota. http://www.mymarianas.com/
· Micronesia Accommodation and Resorts Directory. Searchable listings of resorts in Yap, Chuuk, Kosrae, and Pohnpei. http://www.micronesia.islands-resorts.com/
· Robert Reimers Enterprises. Site of the Marshall Islands' largest business empire, owners of hotels, scuba operators, shipping agencies, stores, tour companies, and restaurants. Information about diving on the many wrecks of Bikini Atoll is found here. http://www.rreinc.com/
· Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands. A question-and-answer page about living on the island of Saipan, an American possession between Guam and Japan. http://www.mgnewman.com/saipan/index.html
· Saipan Sucks. An anonymous expose of "America's Biggest Welfare Client." Tells you everything you won't find on the official tourism sites. http://www.saipansucks.com/
· Sonsorol Island. A lovely site dedicated to the remote island of Sonsorol, Republic of Palau. http://www.sonsorol.com/
· Tamuning Plaza Hotel. The Tamuning Plaza offers reasonably priced accommodations on Guam. http://www.guamhotel.com/
· A Tour of Pohnpei. Mark Haun's collection of photos of Pohnpei, Caroline Islands. http://www.keteu.org/pohnpei/
· Welcome to Kiribati. Official site of the Kiribati Visitor's Bureau, with abundant photos of the country. http://www.kiritours.com/Tourism/tourism.htm
· Witte, Astrid, and Casey Mahaney. Guam and Micronesia: Reef Fish and Critter I.D. Blue Kirio, 1996. A useful pocket reference book.
· Yap Art Studio and Gallery. Watercolor paintings, wood carvings, and hand-woven products by artists from Yap, Federated States of Micronesia. http://www.yapartstudioandgallery.com/
· Yokwe Divers and Wildfire Sports Fishing. A scuba and sport-fishing operator based at Majuro, Marshall Islands. http://www.divemarshallislands.com/
"The Infography about Travel in Micronesia"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA