The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is gang violence and psychology.
· Frederic Thrasher. The Gang: 1313 Gangs in Chicago. 1927. University of Chicago Press.
· Joan Moore. Going Down to the Barrio: Homeboys and Homegirls in Change. 1991. Temple University Press.
· Malcolm Klein. The American Street Gang: Its Nature, Prevalence, and Control. 1995. Oxford University Press.
· John M. Hagedorn. Gang Research.net. http://www.gangresearch.net/
· Ron Huff, editor. Gangs in America. Vol. 1. 1990. Sage.
· Meda Chesney-Lind and John Hagedorn, editors. Female Gangs in America: Essays on Girls, Gangs, and Gender. 1999. Lake View Press.
· William F. Whyte. Street Corner Society. 1943. University of Chicago Press.
· Richard Cloward and Lloyd Ohlin. Delinquency and Opportunity. 1960. The Free Press.
· National Youth Gang Center. http://www.iir.com/nygc/
· Luis J. Rodriguez. Always Running: La Vida Loca: Gang Days in L.A. 1994. Simon and Schuster.
· Sudhir A. Venkatesh. "The Social Organization of Street Gang Activity in an Urban Ghetto." 1997. American Journal of Sociology 103(1): 82-111.
· John Hagedorn. People and Folks: Gangs, Crime, and the Underclass in a Rustbelt City. 1998. Lake View Press.
· Diego Vigil. Barrio Gangs. 1988. University of Texas Press.
· Carl Taylor. Dangerous Society. 1989. Michigan State University Press.
· James F. Short and Fred L. Strodtbeck. Group Process and Gang Delinquency. 1965. University of Chicago Press.
· Walter Miller. "Lower Class Culture as a Generating Milieu of Gang Delinquency." 1958. Journal of Social Issues 14: 5-19.
· Irving A. Spergel. The Youth Gang Problem: A Community Approach. 1995. Oxford University Press.
· David Dawley. A Nation of Lords: The Autobiography of the Vice Lords. 1992. Waveland Press.
· Clive Glaser. Bo-Tsotsi: The Youth Gangs of Soweto, 1935-1976. 2000. Heinemann.
· Sanyika Shakur. Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member. 1993. Penguin Books.
· Alex Kotlowitz. There Are No Children Here: The Story of Two Boys Growing up in the Other America. 1991. Anchor Books.
· William J. Chambliss. "The Saints and the Roughnecks." 1973. Society 11(1): 24-31.
· Albert Cohen. Delinquent Boys. 1955. The Free Press.
· Stanley Cohen. Moral Panics and Folk Devils. 1972. MacGibbon and Kee.
· Ruth Horowitz. Honor and the American Dream. 1983. Rutgers University Press.
· Ruth R. Kornhauser. Social Sources of Delinquency: An Appraisal of Analytic Models. 1978. University of Chicago Press.
· Manuel Castells. The Information Age: Economy, Society and Culture. Volume 3: End of Millennium. 1998. Blackwell.
"The Infography about Gangs"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA