Travel -- Cook Islands
The following sources are recommended by an expert whose research specialty is travel opportunities in the Cook Islands.
· Cook Islands. A remarkable potpourri of useful information about the Cook Islands with maps, history, travel, recipes, and more. http://www.ck/
· Cook Islands A-Z Visitors Guide. A thumbnail guide to the Cook Islands, along with some quirky, personal observations. It has been written for a fun, entertaining read as well as factual information. http://www.cookislandsatoz.com/
· Cook Islands News Online. The online weekly edition of the daily newspaper of the Cook Islands with links to the week's stories, features, and sports. http://www.cinews.co.ck/
· Cook Islands Travel Guide. A 125-page online guide to the Cook Islands by travel writer David Stanley, author of Moon Handbooks South Pacific. http://cookislands.southpacific.org/
· Maps of the Cook Islands. View a map of the northern and southern groups, plus four island maps, from Map South Pacific. http://www.mapsouthpacific.com/cook_islands/
· Tourism Cook Islands. The official Cook Islands Tourism Corporation site provides a business directory of their accredited partners. Details of accommodations and activities can be downloaded in PDF format, and there's a page about each island. http://www.cookislands.travel/
· Air Rarotonga. Captain Ewan Smith's aerial photography and the convincing descriptions of each island make this site worth visiting. Information on Air Rarotonga's flights and tours are provided and you can book online. http://www.airraro.com/
· Atiu Island. This unique site maintained by residents of Atiu has photo galleries, background information, legends, sightseeing, and general tourist information. http://www.atiu.info/
· Cook Islands Accommodation and Travel. Here you'll find listings for all the most important places to stay, with exact prices quoted and an "email direct" feature which allows you to make immediate contact. http://www.cook.islands.travelmaxia.com/
· Cook Islands Aitutaki. An online guide to Aitutaki, the second most visited of the Cook Islands. http://www.aitutaki.com/
· Cook Islands Beaches. Travel information with maps and photos of Cook Islands beaches and islands. http://www.cook.islands-beaches.com/
· Cook Islands Government Online. Excellent background information about the government and country. http://www.cook-islands.gov.ck/
· Cook Islands Hotels. A hotel guide to Rarotonga and Aitutaki with clickable photos and maps. http://www.the-cook-islands.com/
· Cook Islands Picture Guide. Provides photos of the people, the landscapes, villages and towns, activities, sunsets, and sunrises. http://www.cook.islands-pictures.com/
· Cook Islands Resorts Pacific. A Cook Islands resorts guide with information on vacations, scuba diving, honeymoons, and islands. An excellent map section is included. http://www.cook.islands.resortspacific.com/
· Frisbie, Robert Dean. The Book of Puka-Puka: A Lone Trader on a South Sea Atoll. Century, 1929; Mutual Publishing, 1987. Frisbie's charming account of his first years on a remote northern atoll in the Cook Islands in the interwar period. A 1944 sequel, The Island of Desire: The Story of a South Sea Trader, published by Doubleday, deals with his time on Suwarrow.
· Jetsave Travel. Comprehensive listings of most Cook Islands travel arrangements are available here. The New Zealand dollar rates quoted are similar to what you'd pay locally, and you can book by email. http://www.jetsave.co.ck/
· Muri Beach Resort. Deluxe accommodation at Muri Beach, Rarotonga's watersports centre. http://www.muribeachresort.com/
· Palm Grove. This small hotel offers garden and beach bungalows in a quiet location on the south side of Rarotonga. http://www.palmgrove.net/
· Rarotonga Backpackers. A new budget accommodations option nested on a hillside on the west side of the island. http://www.rarotongabackpackers.com/
· Rarotonga Encountered. This well-illustrated page by Lucia Appleby illustrates how Rarotonga still offers vacationers a glimpse of unspoiled nature, rare birds, and an island in transition. http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Rarotonga.htm
· Rarotonga Realty. This company specializes in temporary rentals and investment opportunities in the Cook Islands. Renting a holiday home rather than staying in a hotel is a viable option on Rarotonga, and this site lists several attractive short-term rentals. http://www.rarorealty.co.ck/
· Seafari Charters. The site of a sport fishing operation based at Rarotonga. You can review a list of record catches and see photos of the boat. http://www.seafari.co.ck/
· Silk, Don. From Kauri Trees to Sunlit Seas: Shoestring Shipping in the South Pacific. Godwit, 1994. Don Silk and Bob Boyd created an inter-island shipping company which carried passengers and cargo around the Cook Islands for decades. Silk's dry humor and understatement is a delight, and his account of the farcical seizure of the freighter "Marthalina" by inept Sri Lankan officials for alleged gun running is a classic.
· Welcome to Cook Islands. This important site offers full information on accommodations, plus tips on honeymoons, weddings, cruise charters, eco-tourism, surfing, and fishing. http://www.cook.islands-accommodation.com/
"The Infography about Travel in the Cook Islands"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA