Botanical Explorations in the United States and Canada
The following sources are recommended by a professor emeritus whose research specialty is botany in North America.
· Ewan, J., and N.D. Ewan. 1981. Biographical Dictionary of Rocky Mountain Naturalists. Regnum Vegetabile No. 107, Bohn, Scheltema, and Holkema.
· McKelvey, S.D. 1991. Botanical Exploration of the Trans-Mississippi West, 1790-1850. Oregon State University Press.
· Reveal, J.L. 1992. Gentle Conquest: The Botanical Discovery of North America with Illustrations from the Library of Congress. Starwood Publishing. 1996. Also published as America's Botanical Beauty: Illustrations from the Library of Congress, Fulcrum Publishing, 1996.
· Reveal, J.L., and J.S. Pringle. 1993. "Taxonomic Botany and Floristics in North America North of Mexico: A Review," pp. 157-192. In: Flora of North America Editorial Committee (ed.), Flora of North America North of Mexico. Vol. 1. Oxford University Press. http://www.life.umd.edu/emeritus/reveal/pbio/usda/fnach7.html
· Spongberg, S.A. 1990. A Reunion of Trees. Harvard University Press.
· Stearns, R.P. 1970. Science in the British Colonies of America. University of Illinois Press.
· Barber, L. 1980. The Heyday of Natural History: 1820-1870. Doubleday.
· Blunt, W. 1971. The Compleat Naturalist: A Life of Linnaeus. Viking.
· Carter, J.S. History of Science. Clermont College, University of Cincinnati. http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio104/hist_sci.htm
· Coats, A.M. 1970. The Plant Hunters: Being a History of the Horticultural Pioneers, Their Quests, and Their Discoveries from the Renaissance to the Twentieth Century. McGraw-Hill.
· Directory of Botanists, Plantsmen, Landscapers, Gardeners and Writers of Note. Sisley Garden Tours. http://www.sisley.co.uk/gardeners.shtml
· Ewan, J. 1969. A Short History of Botany in the United States. Hafner Publishing.
· Garofalo, M.P. The History of Gardening: A Timeline. The Spirit of Gardening. http://www.gardendigest.com/timegl.htm
· Hatch, R.A. The Scientific Revolution -- Readings, Resources, Links. University of Florida. http://web.clas.ufl.edu/users/rhatch/pages/03-Sci-Rev/SCI-REV-Home/index.htm
· Herbals and Early Gardening Books from the Doris and Marc Patten Collection. Special Collections, Hayden Library, Arizona State University. http://www.asu.edu/lib/speccoll/patten/
· Hobhouse, P. 1992. Penelope Hobhouse's Gardening through the Ages: An Illustrated History of Plants and Their Influence on Garden Styles -- From Ancient Egypt to the Present Day. Simon and Schuster.
· Howlett, F.S. History of Horticulture. Ohio State University. http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/hort/history.html
· Isley, D. 1994. One Hundred and One Botanists. Iowa State University Press.
· Kastner, J. 1977. A Species of Eternity. Knopf.
· Keeney, E.B. 1992. The Botanizers: Amateur Scientists in Nineteenth-Century America. University of North Carolina Press.
· Lemmon, K. 1969. The Golden Age of Plant Hunters. A.S. Barnes.
· Rix, M. 1980. The Art of the Plant World: The Great Botanical Illustrators and Their Work. Overlook Press.
· Rix, M. 1990. The Art of Botanical Illustration. Gramercy.
· Sengbusch, P. von Botany: The History of a Science. University of Hamburg. http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b-online/e01/01.htm
"The Infography about Botanical Explorations in the United States and Canada"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA