Eukaryotic mRNA Stability
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is mRNA formation and function.
· Mitchell P, Tollervey D. 2000. mRNA stability in eukaryotes. (Review) (62 refs) Current Opinion in Genetics and Development. 10(2):193-98.
· Day DA, Tuite MF. 1998. Post-transcriptional gene regulatory mechanisms in eukaryotes: an overview. (Review) (91 refs) Journal of Endocrinology. 157(3):361-71.
· Rouault T, Klausner R. 1997. Regulation of iron metabolism in eukaryotes. (Review) (88 refs) Current Topics in Cellular Regulation. 35:1-19.
· Jacobson A, Peltz SW. 1996. Interrelationships of the pathways of mRNA decay and translation in eukaryotic cells. (Review) (400 refs) Annual Review of Biochemistry. 65:693-739.
· Ross J. 1995. mRNA stability in mammalian cells. (Review) (395 refs) Microbiological Reviews. 59(3):423-50.
· Surdej P, Riedl A, Jacobs-Lorena M. 1994. Regulation of mRNA stability in development. (Review) (115 refs) Annual Review of Genetics. 28:263-82.
· Antic D, Keene JD. 1997. Embryonic lethal abnormal visual RNA-binding proteins involved in growth, differentiation, and posttranscriptional gene expression. American Journal of Human Genetics 61:273-78.
· Atasoy U, Watson J, Patel D, Keene JD. 1998. ELAV protein HuA (HuR) can redistribute between nucleus and cytoplasm and is upregulated during serum stimulation and T cell activation. Journal of Cell Science 111:3145-56.
· Bohjanen PR, Petryniak B, June CH, Thompson CB, Lindsten T. 1991. An inducible cytoplasmic factor (AU-B) binds selectively to AUUUA multimers in the 3' untranslated region of lymphokine mRNA. Molecular and Cellular Biology 11:3288-95.
· Bohjanen PR, Petryniak B, June CH, Thompson CB, Lindsten T. 1992. AU RNA-binding factors differ in their binding specificities and affinities. Journal of Biological Chemistry 267:6302-09.
· Brewer G. 1991. An A + U-rich element RNA-binding factor regulates c-myc mRNA stability in vitro. Molecular and Cellular Biology 11:2460-66.
· Caput D, Beutler B, Hartog K, Thayer R, Brown-Shimer S, Cerami A. 1986. Identification of a common nucleotide sequence in the 3'-untranslated region of mRNA molecules specifying inflammatory mediators. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 83:1670-74.
· Carballo E, Lai WS, Blackshear PJ. 1998. Feedback inhibition of macrophage tumor necrosis factor-alpha production by tristetraprolin. Science 281:1001-05.
· Chen CY, Shyu AB. 1995. AU-rich elements: characterization and importance in mRNA degradation. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 20:465-70.
· DeMaria CT, Brewer G. 1996. AUF1 binding affinity to A+U-rich elements correlates with rapid mRNA degradation. Journal of Biological Chemistry 271:12179-84.
· Fan XC, Steitz JA. 1998. Overexpression of HuR, a nuclear-cytoplasmic shuttling protein, increases the in vivo stability of ARE-containing mRNAs. EMBO Journal 17:3448-60.
· Ford LP, Watson J, Keene JD, Wilusz J. 1999. ELAV proteins stabilize deadenylated intermediates in a novel in vitro mRNA deadenylation/degradation system. Genes and Development 13:188-201.
· Good PJ. 1995. A conserved family of elav-like genes in vertebrates. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 92:4557-61.
· Hamilton BJ, Nagy E, Malter JS, Arrick BA, Rigby WF. 1993. Association of heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein A1 and C proteins with reiterated AUUUA sequences. Journal of Biological Chemistry 268:8881-87.
· Han J, Brown T, Beutler B. 1990. Endotoxin-responsive sequences control cachectin/tumor necrosis factor biosynthesis at the translational level (published erratum appears in Journal of Experimental Medicine 171:971-72). Journal of Experimental Medicine 171:465-75.
· Katz DA, Theodorakis NG, Cleveland DW, Lindsten T, Thompson CB. 1994. AU-A, an RNA-binding activity distinct from hnRNP A1, is selective for AUUUA repeats and shuttles between the nucleus and the cytoplasm. Nucleic Acids Research 22:238-46.
· Keene JD. 1999. Why is Hu where? Shuttling of early-response-gene messenger RNA subsets. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 96:5-7.
· Kruys V, Marinx O, Shaw G, Deschamps J, Huez G. 1989. Translational blockade imposed by cytokine-derived UA-rich sequences. Science 245:852-55.
· Lai WS, Carballo E, Strum JR, Kennington EA, Phillips RS, Blackshear PJ. 1999. Evidence that tristetraprolin binds to AU-rich elements and promotes the deadenylation and destabilization of tumor necrosis factor alpha mRNA. Molecular and Cellular Biology 19:4311-23.
· Lai WS, Stumpo DJ, Blackshear PJ. 1990. Rapid insulin-stimulated accumulation of an mRNA encoding a proline-rich protein. Journal of Biological Chemistry 265:16556-63.
· Levy NS, Chung S, Furneaux H, Levy AP. 1998. Hypoxic stabilization of vascular endothelial growth factor mRNA by the RNA-binding protein HuR. Journal of Biological Chemistry 273:6417-23.
· Lindsten T, June CH, Ledbetter JA, Stella G, Thompson CB. 1989. Regulation of lymphokine messenger RNA stability by a surface-mediated T cell activation pathway. Science 244:339-43.
· Malter JS. 1989. Identification of an AUUUA-specific messenger RNA binding protein. Science 246:664-66.
· Malter JS. 1998. Posttranscriptional regulation of mRNAs important in T cell function. Advances in Immunology 68:1-49.
· Myer VE, Fan XC, Steitz JA. 1997. Identification of HuR as a protein implicated in AUUUA-mediated mRNA decay. EMBO Journal 16:2130-39.
· Peng SS, Chen CY, Xu N, Shyu AB. 1998. RNA stabilization by the AU-rich element binding protein, HuR, an ELAV protein. EMBO Journal 17:3461-70.
· Schuler GD, Cole MD. 1988. GM-CSF and oncogene mRNA stabilities are independently regulated in trans in a mouse monocytic tumor. Cell 55:1115-22.
· Shaw G, Kamen R. 1986. A conserved AU sequence from the 3' untranslated region of GM-CSF mRNA mediates selective mRNA degradation. Cell 46:659-67.
· Vakalopoulou E, Schaack J, Shenk T. 1991. A 32-kilodalton protein binds to AU-rich domains in the 3' untranslated regions of rapidly degraded mRNAs. Molecular and Cellular Biology 11:3355-64.
· Xu N, Chen CY, Shyu AB. 1997. Modulation of the fate of cytoplasmic mRNA by AU-rich elements: key sequence features controlling mRNA deadenylation and decay. Molecular and Cellular Biology 17:4611-21.
· Zhang W, Wagner BJ, Ehrenman K, Schaefer AW, DeMaria CT, Crater D, DeHaven K, Long L, Brewer G. 1993. Purification, characterization, and cDNA cloning of an AU-rich element RNA-binding protein, AUF1. Molecular and Cellular Biology 13:7652-65.
"The Infography about Eukaryotic mRNA Stability"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA