Papacy -- History -- Early Modern Period
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the history of the Vatican.
· Pastor, Ludwig von. The History of the Popes from the Close of the Middle Ages. Volumes 17-37. Herder, 1938-1953.
· Duffy, Eamon. Saints and Sinners: A History of the Popes. Yale University Press, 1997.
· Kelly, J.N.D. The Oxford Dictionary of Popes. Oxford University Press, 1986.
· Hillerbrand, Hans J., et al., eds. The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Reformation. 4 Volumes. Oxford University Press, 1996.
· Prodi, Paolo. The Papal Prince, One Body and Two Souls: The Papal Monarchy in Early-Modern Europe. Cambridge University Press, 1990.
· Hudon, William V. "Religion and Society in Early-Modern Italy: Old Questions, New Insights." American Historical Review 101/3 (June 1996): 783-804.
· Biagioli, Mario. Galileo, Courtier: The Practice of Science in the Culture of Absolutism. University of Chicago Press, 1993.
· Cochrane, Eric. Italy, 1530-1630. Longman, 1988.
· Carpanetto, Dino, and Giuseppe Ricuperati. Italy in the Age of Reason, 1685-1789. Longman, 1987.
· McGinness, Frederick J. Right Thinking and Sacred Oratory in Counter-Reformation Rome. Princeton University Press, 1995.
· Hudon, William V. "The Early-Modern Papacy, 1566-1769: Plans for Consolidation, Long-Term Deterioration." The Great Popes through History. Edited by Frank J. Coppa, et al. Greenwood Press, 2002.
· Hudon, William V. "The Papacy in the Age of Reform, 1513-1644." Early Modern Catholicism: Essays in Honour of John W. O'Malley, S.J. Edited by Kathleen M. Comerford and Hilmar Pabel. University of Toronto Press, 2001.
"The Infography about Early Modern History of the Papacy"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA