Utopias and Utopianism
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is utopia.
· Bloch, Ernst. The Utopian Function of Art and Literature: Selected Essays. Translated by Jack Zipes and Frank Mecklenburg. Studies in Contemporary German Thought, MIT Press, 1988.
· Kumar, Krishan. Utopia and Anti-Utopia in Modern Times. Oxford University Press, 1987.
· Levitas, Ruth. The Concept of Utopia. Syracuse University Press, 1990.
· Moylan, Tom. Scraps of the Untainted Sky: Science Fiction, Utopia, Dystopia. Westview Press, 2000.
· Sargent, Lyman Tower. British and American Utopian Literature, 1616-1975: An Annotated Bibliography. G.K. Hall, 1979.
· Sargent, Lyman Tower. "The Three Faces of Utopianism Revisited." Utopian Studies 5.1 (1994): 1-37.
· H-Utopia Discussion Network: Forms, Contents, and Influence of Utopian/Dystopian Thinking. http://www.h-net.org/~utopia/
· Utopia: Search for the Ideal Society, an online exhibit of the New York Public Library. http://utopia.nypl.org/homepage_qt.html
· Booker, M. Keith. Dystopian Literature: A Theory and Research Guide. Greenwood Press, 1994.
· Harvey, David. Spaces of Hope. California Studies in Critical Human Geography 7, University of California Press, 2000.
· Moylan, Tom. Demand the Impossible: Science Fiction and the Utopian Imagination. Methuen, 1986.
· Roemer, Kenneth, ed. America as Utopia. Burt Franklin, 1981.
· Shklar, Judith. "What Is the Use of Utopia?" Heterotopia: Postmodernism and the Body Politic. Tobin Siebers, ed. University of Michigan Press, 1995, pp. 40-57.
"The Infography about Utopias and Utopianism"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA