Astronomy -- History -- 19th and 20th Centuries
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the history of astronomy.
· Dick, Wolfgang R., Astronomiae Historia / History of Astronomy. Superb website with links to practically all the good history of astronomy on the web. http://www.astro.uni-bonn.de/~pbrosche/astoria.html
· Clerke, Agnes, A Popular History of Astronomy during the Nineteenth Century (Adam and Charles Black, 1885, 1887, 1893, 1902; reprinted by Scholarly Press, 1977).
· Struve, Otto and Velta Zebergs, Astronomy of the 20th Century (Macmillan 1962).
· Gingerich, Owen, ed., Astrophysics and Twentieth-Century Astronomy to 1950: Part A. The General History of Astronomy, Vol. 4 (Cambridge University Press 1984).
· Lang, Kenneth R. and Owen Gingerich, eds., A Source Book in Astronomy and Astrophysics, 1900-75 (Harvard University Press, 1979). Original papers with commentary.
· Tenn, Joseph S., The Bruce Medalists Brief biographies, pictures, and references for more than 90 astronomers awarded medals for lifetime achievement. http://www.phys-astro.sonoma.edu/brucemedalists/
· O'Connor, John J and Edmund F. Robertson, The MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive Excellent biographies for a great many mathematicians, including quite a few astronomers and physicists. See also the History Topics. http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/index.html
· Hearnshaw, J. B., The Analysis of Starlight (Cambridge University Press, 1986).
· Hearnshaw, J. B., The Measurement of Starlight (Cambridge University Press, 1996).
· Wright, Helen, Explorer of the Universe: A Biography of George Ellery Hale (E.P. Dutton, 1966; reprinted by Springer Verlag, 1994).
· Lankford, John, ed., History of Astronomy: An Encyclopedia (Garland Pub. Co. 1997).
"The Infography about the History of Astronomy, 19th and 20th Centuries"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA