Fortifications -- United States -- History
The following sources are recommended by a professor whose research specialty is the history of American fortifications.
· Berhow, Mark A., ed. American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide. Coast Defense Study Group Press, 1999.
· Frazer, Robert W. Forts of the West: Military Forts and Presidios and Posts Commonly Called Forts West of the Mississippi River to 1898. University of Oklahoma Press, 1956.
· Lewis, Emanual Raymond. Seacoast Fortifications of the United States: An Introductory History. Smithsonian Institution Press, 1970.
· North American Forts. http://www.northamericanforts.com/
· Roberts, Robert B. Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States. Macmillan, 1988.
· Robinson, Willard B. American Forts: Architectural Form and Function. University of Illinois Press, 1977.
· Athearn, Robert G. Forts of the Upper Missouri. Prentice Hall "American Forts Series," 1967.
· Civil War Field Fortifications. http://civilwarfortifications.com/index.html
· Clary, David A. Fortress America: The Corps of Engineers, Hampton Roads, and United States Coastal Defense. University Press of Virginia, 1990.
· Coastal Fortification on the Gulf of Mexico. http://andy_bennett.home.mindspring.com/coastal.html
· Cooling, Benjamin Franklin III, and Walton H. Owen II. Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington. White Main Publishing, 1988.
· Derleth, August. Vincennes: Portal to the West. Prentice Hall "American Forts Series," 1968.
· Floyd, Dale E., comp. Defending America's Coasts, 1775-1950: A Bibliography. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 1997, 2nd ed.
· Grant, Bruce. American Forts, Yesterday and Today. Dutton, 1967, 2nd ed.
· Hammond, John Martin. Quaint and Historic Forts of North America. Lippincott, 1915.
· Havighurst, Walter. Three Flags at the Straits: The Forts of Mackinac. Prentice Hall "American Forts Series," 1966.
· Historic Western Frontier Forts. http://www.lwfaah.net/research/wf_forts.htm
· Howard, Robert West. Thundergate: The Forts of Niagara. Prentice Hall "American Forts Series," 1968.
· Lavender, David. Bent's Fort. Doubleday, 1954.
· Lewis, Oscar. Sutter's Fort: Gateway to the Gold Fields. Prentice Hall "American Forts Series," 1966.
· Nadeau, Remi. Fort Laramie and the Sioux Indians. Prentice Hall "American Forts Series," 1967.
· O'Meara, Walter. Guns at the Forks: The Story of Fort Duquesne and Fort Pitt. Prentice Hall "American Forts Series," 1965.
· Prucha, Francis Paul. Guide to the Military Posts of the United States. The State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1966.
· Sheads, Scott. Fort McHenry. Nautical and Aviation Publishing, 1995.
· Uttley, Robert M. If These Walls Could Speak: Historic Forts of Texas. University of Texas Press, 1985.
· Walton, George. Sentinel of the Plains: Fort Leavenworth and the American West. Prentice Hall "American Forts Series," 1973.
· Weinert, Richard P., Jr., and Robert Arthur. Defender of the Chesapeake: The Story of Fort Monroe. Leeward Publications, 1978.
"The Infography about the History of Forts in the United States"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA