Travel -- Fiji
The following sources are recommended by an expert whose research specialty is travel in the Fiji Islands.
· Fiji A-Z Visitors Guide. Fiji A-Z is a thumbnail travelers guide with some quirky, personal observations. Site navigation is as easy as A B C. http://www.fijiatoz.com/
· Fiji Accommodation and Travel. This Travelmaxia site documents dozens of resorts and hotels, with details of packages and specials, plus maps, photos, and online forms. It's surprisingly precise and up to date. http://www.fiji.travelmaxia.com/
· Fiji Islands Backpackers Guide. A well-organized website full of budget saving tips, background on Fiji and the Fijians, accommodations listings, information on transportation and activities, and even a Fijian language section. http://fiji-backpacking.com/
· Fiji Visitors Bureau. This is Fiji's official tourism site with comprehensive travel information about the whole country. A drop-down menu gives access to six regional sites in five languages. http://www.bulafiji.com/
· Rob Kay's Fiji Islands Travel Guide. An online travel guide covering subjects like accommodations, recreation, natural history, and facts about Fiji. The site's bulletin board allows you to ask questions and share experiences. http://www.fijiguide.com/
· Stanley, David. Moon Fiji. Avalon Travel Publishing, 2007. The original guidebook to the 322-island Fiji archipelago. With 67 maps and charts in 385 pages, it's the most complete travel guide to the country. http://www.southpacific.org/fiji.html
· Adventure Holidays in Fiji. This unusual site helps you arrange homestays in authentic Fijian villages far from the tourist scene. http://www.fijibure.com/ .
· Air Pacific. Air Pacific is Fiji's national airline with flights to North America, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and many other Pacific island nations. http://www.airpacific.com/
· Awesome Adventures Fiji. Explore the route of the Yasawa Flyer, a fast catamaran which cruises from Nadi to the Yasawa Islands daily. Their "Bula Pass" lets you enjoy this spectacular region to the full. http://www.awesomefiji.com/
· Backpackers and Billionaires. An article about the development of backpacking resorts in Fiji's Yasawa Islands. http://ezinearticles.com/?Backpackers-and-Billionaires&id=24511
· Backpacking Fiji. An introduction to the low-budget beach resorts of the fabulous Yasawa Group. http://www.fijibudget.com/
· Batiluva Beach Resort. This backpacker resort on Yanuca Island south of Viti Levu is ideal for low-budget surfers, divers, and anglers. http://www.batiluva.com/
· The Beachouse. The Beachouse is backpacker heaven on Viti Levu's palm fringed Coral Coast. http://www.fijibeachouse.com/
· Blue Lagoon Cruises. There's no better way to see Fiji at its finest than on a Blue Lagoon Cruise. These upscale voyages to the Yasawa Islands depart Lautoka several times a week, and they're usually fully booked. http://www.bluelagooncruises.com/
· Dive Fiji. Describes the various scuba-diving regions of Fiji with photos of the dive sites. http://www.amfphp.divefiji.com/index2.html
· Fiji Beaches. Numerous interactive maps lead to photos and travel information on Fiji's best beaches and islands. http://www.fijibeaches.com/
· Fiji For Less. An introduction to Fiji's largest budget hotel chain with properties in Suva and Lautoka and on the Coral Coast. http://www.fiji4less.com/
· Fiji Island Travel. Interactive travel maps show the locations of resorts all around Fiji, with pictures of beaches and scenery to help you plan your vacation. http://www.fiji-island.com/
· Fiji Meteorological Service. Read about the climatic conditions you'll encounter in Fiji, or check to see if a hurricane warning has been issued. http://www.met.gov.fj/
· Fiji Museum. This site provides an introduction to Fiji's leading museum with photos of exhibition galleries you'll wish to explore during your visit. http://www.fijimuseum.org.fj/
· Fiji Resorts and Accommodation Directory. Look up resorts, hotels, villas, cottages, apartments, B&Bs, cruises, and dive operators in this handy travel directory. http://www.fiji.islands-resorts.com/
· Fiji Travel Guide. A mini travel guide to Fiji, with concise information plus links to frequently asked questions and additional resources. http://www.southpacific.org/guide/fiji.html
· Geraghty, Craig, Glen, and Paul. Children of the Sun. Glen Craig Publishing, Gympie, Australia, 1996. This photo book, available at the Fiji Visitors Bureau office in Suva, is like one big Fiji family picture album in glorious color.
· Honeymoon Fiji. A site strictly for romantics in search of a tropical vacation. Island honeymoons and beach weddings are their specialty. http://www.honeymoonfiji.com/
· Kula Eco Park. This zoo and botanical garden on the Coral Coast offers you the opportunity to see Fiji's endangered wildlife up close. http://www.fijiwild.com/
· Lawaki Beach House. The site of a small eco-tourism guesthouse on Beqa Island, home of the famous Fijian firewalkers. http://www.lawakibeachhousefiji.com/
· Lomalagi. An upscale resort with six spacious hilltop villas overlooking Vanua Levu's Natewa Bay. http://www.lomalagi.com/home.htm
· Mamanuca Island Resorts. This site introduces the resorts, cruises, and scuba diving of the Mamanuca Islands, one of Fiji's most popular destinations. http://www.fijiresorts.com/
· Map of Fiji. A map of the Fiji islands with travel information and vacation planning tips. The same site carries comprehensive listings of guidebooks to Fiji. http://www.mapsouthpacific.com/fiji/index.html
· Moana's Guesthouses. Vanua Balavu hosts one of Fiji's most remote backpacker resorts. The Lau Group was once ruled by canoe-borne warriors from nearby Tonga, and Moana's guests stay in typical round-ended Tongan houses. http://www.moanasguesthouses.com/
· Nunn, Patrick D. Pacific Island Landscapes. Institute of Pacific Studies, Suva, 1998. A geography of Fiji, Samoa, and Tonga with emphasis on the origin of the islands. Dr. Nunn teaches at the University of the South Pacific in Suva and is a leading authority on the subject.
· Octopus Resort. Octopus Resort on Waya Island near the southern end of the Yasawa Group faces one of Fiji's finest beaches. Its site gives you a taste of this exotic destination. http://www.octopusresort.com/
· Ovalau Watersports. This Ovalau-based company can take you diving with the sharks and manta rays of the Koro Sea. Aside from describing their dive sites, the website provides an introduction to historic Levuka, Fiji's first capital. http://www.owlfiji.com/
· Pacific Sun. In contrast to Suva-based Air Fiji, Pacific Sun's hub is Nadi. http://www.pacificsun.com.fj/
· Paradise in Fiji. Formerly known as Susie's Plantation Resort, this garden resort on the clear shores of southern Taveuni caters to couples and scuba divers. http://www.paradiseinfiji.com/
· Rivers Fiji. White-water rafting and kayaking on southern Viti Levu are among the great travel adventures of Fiji, and Rivers Fiji does it best. The "Ecotourism" section of their website provides a useful article about sustainable development by Dr. Kelly Bricker. http://www.riversfiji.com/
· Ryan, Paddy. Fiji's Natural Heritage. Exisle Publishing, Auckland, 2000. With 500 photos and 288 pages of text, this is probably the most comprehensive popular book on any Pacific island ecosystem.
· Subsurface Fiji. Subsurface operates the diving and sport fishing concessions at 10 Mamanuca resorts, and their site will appeal to anyone with an interest in the area, not only scuba divers. http://www.fijidiving.com/
· Tamarillo Tropical Expeditions. Tamarillo operates sea kayaking tours to Kadavu Island, and their site gives a taste of this adventuresome activity. http://www.tamarillo.co.nz/
· Thomson, Peter. Kava in the Blood. Tandem Press, Auckland, 1999. Thomson served as permanent secretary to Fiji's governor general at the time of the 1987 military coups. His behind-the-scenes account helps one understand the complicated political situation in Fiji.
· Watling, Dick. A Guide to the Birds of Fiji and Western Polynesia. Environmental Consultants, Suva, 2001. In all, 173 confirmed species are included here, plus a further 22 unconfirmed species.
"The Infography about Travel in Fiji"
© 2009 Fields of Knowledge
Essex, Iowa 51638-4608 USA